Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is " aplomb" - an English lesson...!

2 posters

Go down

What is " aplomb" - an English lesson...! Empty What is " aplomb" - an English lesson...!

Post by retired2 Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:46 am

His Lordship was in the study at Downton Abbey when the butler approached and coughed discreetly.

"May I ask you a question my lord?"

"Go ahead Carson " said his lordship.

"I am doing the crossword in The Times and I have found a word I am not too clear on."

"What word is that?" said his lordship.

"Aplomb" , my lord.

"Now that's a difficult one to explain. I would say it is self assurance or complete composure."

"Thank you, my lord, but I'm still a little confused."

"Let me give you an example to make it clearer. Do you remember a few months ago the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrived to spend a weekend with us?"

"I remember the occasion very well, my lord. It gave the staff and myself much pleasure to look after them."

"Also", continued the Earl of Grantham, "do you remember Will plucked a rose for Kate in the rose garden?"

"I was present on that occasion, my lord, ministering to their needs."

"While plucking the rose a thorn embedded itself in his thumb very deeply."

Carson replied, "I witnessed the incident, my lord, and saw the Duchess herself remove the thorn and bandage his thumb with her own dainty handkerchief."

"That evening the prick on his thumb was so sore, Kate had to cut up his venison from our own estate, even though it was extremely tender."

"Yes, my lord, I did see everything that transpired that evening."

"The next morning while you were pouring coffee for Her Ladyship, Kate enquired of Will with a loud voice, 'Darling does your prick still throb?'"

And you, Carson, did not spill one drop of coffee!

Now that is aplomb!
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

What is " aplomb" - an English lesson...! Empty Re: What is " aplomb" - an English lesson...!

Post by Rick Wisson Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Now I gotta go and look up aplomb.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

What is " aplomb" - an English lesson...! Empty Re: What is " aplomb" - an English lesson...!

Post by retired2 Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:41 pm

And what did you find???
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wisson Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:51 am

It said if you read Retireds jokes while drinking coffee or beer , and do not snort it out your nose , that's Aplomb. Apparently at times I have no aplomb.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum