Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Train Travel

3 posters

Go down

Train Travel Empty Train Travel

Post by gale force Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:48 pm

I recently had the opportunity to travel to Ottawa via train, rather than the hassle and stress of driving.  I was totally daunted by the necessity of driving through Toronto traffic and jumped at the chance to go Via Rail.  I splurged and went business class and was pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the seats, frequent offers of liquid refreshment, and more than adequate meals.  The only disappointment was on the return trip, the menu was identical to that which we had already indulged.(lol)   Another complaint was the necessity to handle baggage, as checked baggage was not an option.  Transfers at Union Station were effected with the help of Wheel Chair and Lift assistance for my mom, and absolutely fantastic Red Cap service to and from the trains into the Via 1 Lounge.   Far far back in my younger days I was friendly with two fellows who worked for Via and occasionally would ride on the train between London and Windsor.  Those trips usually happened with me riding in the baggage car, so I really didn't have anything to compare with this latest trip.  It's something I would recommend to anyone interested in a no driving experience.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Train Travel Empty Re: Train Travel

Post by observer Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:35 pm

Sounds as tho it was basically enjoyable.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:16 pm

I have never been on a train. Out of curiosity, what would a train ticket to Ottawa cost? I can't say as tho I've ever thought about it because I drive or fly everywhere.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:50 pm

I haven't ridden a train either for over 50 years! Took one to Montreal from London for a football game in my Univ. days; and took one from Woodstock to NY to board an ocean liner for Europe when I was about 18. Needless to say, the memory of the cruise and the trip to Europe is much stronger than the memory of the ride on the train!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:01 am

RT, my ticket London to Ottawa, via business class were just over $500.
That included meals and drinks on each segment. Seating was comfortable, and more leg room than I've seen on an airplane since the sixties!! Prices vary on your selection of type whether it be economy, business or first class, and within each category I believe there are price divisions again.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down