Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

they went west to have better women?on this day

3 posters

Go down

they went west to have better women?on this day  Empty they went west to have better women?on this day

Post by growler Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:29 pm

Old West 1846 : Mormons begin exodus to Utah
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

they went west to have better women?on this day  Empty Re: they went west to have better women?on this day

Post by kishgo Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Eight years later, my hubby's cousin's wife left Scotland with her eight children to travel to Utah, to Zion, not for better women! Her husband, our cousin, stayed behind in Scotland. Apparently, the "plan" was that Janet would take the girls to Holyoak, Mass. USA and then on to Utah and Robert would stay in Scotland with the boys. Robert apparently did not join the Mormom movement.
However, at the last moment,Janet whisked away all the children before Robert realized they were gone. We have typed family notes from some of the children writing to their father, begging for his forgiveness and for him to join them asap. Robert was very angry and bitter. It was 20 years before he left his beloved Scotland. When he arrived in 1874, he never did take up permanent residence but instead choose to live with various children throughout the year. One of his children wrote in another letter that their father was walking between two places, got lost in a blizzard and lost some of his toes due to frostbite.
The children of Janet and Robert were very involved in the Mormom church. One in particular, Cecil, wrote many books and is well known in the church. Their sons practiced their religion with plural marriages even though by the late 1800s, the practice was banned. They moved around a lot. It was interesting tracing these routes.

Last edited by kishgo on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

they went west to have better women?on this day  Empty Re: they went west to have better women?on this day

Post by retired2 Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:12 pm

What a neat story, thanks for sharing.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:28 pm

You are welcome! We have another family member who left Scotland to journey to Jamaica. There he owned a small plantation and several slaves. He never married but fathered two children with one of his slaves. In his last will and testament, he provided freedom and finances for the mother of his children, the children as well with money in trust for them to rec. an education. His will also stipulated that his brother, in Scotland was not to rec a single shilling of his estate. Guess they had a falling out!
The plantation owner cousin returned to England many times. Brave soul! Travel in the 1800s was very different then.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Have you got all this on Ancestry.com to preserve this for future generations to enjoy
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 pm

Ancestry is my biggest problem. The Canadian Gov't has made it impossible for them to ship books to Canada. The account cannot be traced back to a CDN address either. So now I am retyping/transfering all my ancestry info to Tribal Pages and they will make a DVD. Certainly not as great as a book, but at least it's something. I have thought of doing a scrapbook type of recording too but I just can't seem to get my head around how to record the generations along one lineage, never mind two or three. As well, if I did decide to do a book format on my own, it would take about a year to do. We are never in one spot long enough for me to attempt this.
I did most of my research shortly after I retired and hubby was still working. Then he retired and life has never been the same since.....
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:04 pm

You could have it sent to where you are now
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 pm

I thought of that but Ancestry says that my billing address is in Canada and they can't ship to the USA with a CDN billing address. Crazy huh?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 am

kishgo wrote:I thought of that but Ancestry says that my billing address is in Canada and they can't ship to the USA with a CDN billing address. Crazy huh?

not sure who you are dealing with,but would they be willing to accept a money order ?
you can buy one,with your credit card, and have it wired to them electronicly,or the way i got my family tree was to have it put onto a cd/dvd,by my cousin,via sacanning it in,as pictures, then sent,first via e-mail,then by mail.
but easier if they will take it via electronic money-gram/money order.
i think american-express m/o is only about .02% cost,or maybe it was western union !
or call your c/c isuer and have another address added as an approved place of purchase,i have that on my visa,and m/c so as to order to have goods shipped to a friends address in the us,so he can bring the things (?) across the 49th line in the sand!
of course you know how us criminal are ? scratch Twisted Evil
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 am

oh yeah they went west to get more agreeable women,not better ones ! they went west to have better women?on this day  580207494
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Hmmm, the money order is an interesting concept and we have two USA shipping addresses, one in NY and one in FL. Thanks growler. I'll check it out.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:35 pm

I had the same problem. Wanted a leatherbound ancestory book I was able to set up what I wanted but not order it But I was able to print them out and then took them to staples who double sided them on glossier paper and put it in book. Had them put the pages I printed out into a book also. The double sided one went to my father in law and we kept the other. Probably could have had a better quality type book made some other place but this was good enough for what we wanted
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 pm

That too is an interesting concept Retired2. I may just check that out as well. i did write to ancestry to inquire if they have considerd a DVD format, but no answer.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down