Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The cost of travel

+2
kishgo
observer
6 posters

Go down

The cost of travel Empty The cost of travel

Post by observer Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Have been reviewing our "travel history". (Yes - we've kept a record over all these years - including the cost, most of the time!)

I've been quite amazed that the cost to take these week long Caribbean breaks has not risen all that much since 1979 - the first time we did one! That's been 34 years! Oh my, where has the time gone!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

The cost of travel Empty Re: The cost of travel

Post by kishgo Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 am

Time flies when you are having fun!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:34 am

Boy the sun comes up early down south
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:21 am

It sets earlier too!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:55 pm

Isn't it interesting that for a little bit, you just assume it's summer - because the temps are - and you think you should have the long days that we have in summer - when we're "down south" too ? After all, it IS like our summer weather. Why wouldn't we have summer daylight hours?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:57 am

The cost of travel 4195803818
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:16 am

observer wrote:Isn't it interesting that for a little bit, you just assume it's summer - because the temps are - and you think you should have the long days that we have in summer - when we're "down south" too ? After all, it IS like our summer weather. Why wouldn't we have summer daylight hours?
It is the same time zone so the sun should set and come up about the same as here.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 am

Of course but it doesn't feel right!!!!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:11 pm

observer wrote:Have been reviewing our "travel history". (Yes - we've kept a record over all these years - including the cost, most of the time!)

I've been quite amazed that the cost to take these week long Caribbean breaks has not risen all that much since 1979 - the first time we did one! That's been 34 years! Oh my, where has the time gone!

Hmm. We started traveling in 1993 and I do think that the cost for us to travel has risen. For us though it's been more because of expectations. We started off "cheapy cheapy" with 3 star resorts when we were first married, now 24 years later we don't want to travel to less than a 4 star, but preferably a 5 star. That's the price increase for us - revolves around expectations. We go south twice per year, and every trip has a different expectation. In the fall we take our boys, and in the winter we go as a couple. Always fun, always warm.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:17 am

I'll concede some of what you're saying, Ruby. In our earlier travels, I'm sure not all the hotels were 4 and 5 star as they are now; yet compared to what we used to pay for a family of four - and now for just the 2 of us - I don't find the prices have elevated in keeping with the "cost of living" since 1979!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

retired2 wrote:
observer wrote:Isn't it interesting that for a little bit, you just assume it's summer - because the temps are - and you think you should have the long days that we have in summer - when we're "down south" too ? After all, it IS like our summer weather. Why wouldn't we have summer daylight hours?
It is the same time zone so the sun should set and come up about the same as here.

actually the sun comes up a bit earlier and set's a little later when down there during the first 1/4 of the year,but then equals out until the middle of sept.and gets longer north of us in the middle (the midnite sun in the arctic!)
i used to notice it when driving down south inthe winter,and summer etc. evey week.
once in mid may. i picked up a building (new mostly metal airplane hangar)in southern illinois that i took to northern ontario,(a place about 200 miles north of thunder-bay,out in the woods!)i left the place where i loaded and it was dark about 8:30 cst,but when i got up to the place i delivered,it never got dark until almost 10:00pm cst !it gained almost an hour and a half, by that time !
and in fl.right now,it don't get dark until about 6:00 pm,but it gets dark here about 5:45 pm.so it is a longer day !
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:28 pm

I agree with what you're saying Growler. Dusk begins here about 6 and dark has moved over to about 6:30. I love the longer days but woould prefer it be light out when I get up in the morning too!! It seems odd that at 6:45 its still dark out!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm

Stay in bed longer and it will be light when you get up Very Happy
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 am