Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All this talk about teaching contracts

4 posters

Go down

All this talk about teaching contracts Empty All this talk about teaching contracts

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 am

I was thinking...although teachers can not apply for EI benefits in the summer, teacher's aids can. I wonder - out of the # of teacher's aids in Ontario - how many don't collect EI ( meaning they got a job for summer when they got laid off at the end of the school year)? I bet the majority collect benefits and don't send a second on looking for work.

Shouldn't that be challenged by those EI folks? Can you imagine how much money that adds up to every year?
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

All this talk about teaching contracts Empty Re: All this talk about teaching contracts

Post by kishgo Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:23 am

Interesting perspective. I know many many TAs and not one collects EI. Some are new to the field and some have been around for decades. They all feel the same way. By the time they go through their 'wait' period, look for new jobs etc. it isn't worth it. Many of them do find summer jobs that pay better than EI. My one dear friend spent all of July working for a farmer for her spending money for a European trip she has been planning and saving for over a year. Another does more volunteer work, her first love.
Guess it depends entirely on the individual. I'm sure there are those that do just as you suggest RT.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

All this talk about teaching contracts Empty Re: All this talk about teaching contracts

Post by growler Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:08 am

i cut and copyed this response about teachers and there pay packages from another forum !
i think is a well thought out response to the questions and remarks being made !

study scratch

I think that teachers are paid well. I also think that they should be, based on their scope of responsibility and educational requirements. They also have other very generous perks - they only work 10 months per year, plus get Christmas and March Break off - they have very good hours of work, and although there are some that do marking, etc at home, most do not, but I guess that it's not a requirement so why should they - they have an above average number of sick days as compared to most other occupations or employers - they have a very good pension as compared to pensions offered by most other employers - so, at the end of the day one could say that their overall compensation package is above average - as compared to other types of employment or employer offerings. There are many things about their job in our changing society that I wouldn't want to deal with, and therefore I didn't pursue teaching as a career. I do appreciate what they do and would expect that their efforts are financially rewarding to them, just as any occupation should be for each individual. The problem lies within the fact that teachers are compensated well, and they are also in the public eye. We all know that the general public wishes to see accountability for the use of money. So, when someone is already paid well, and wants "more, more, more" it becomes quite frustrating. They are no different than any other Ontarioan that gets up and goes to work, and has had to face cutbacks, wage freezes, job expansion, ext. When the general public sees that they are not willing to make any concessions it becomes very distastefull and people become bitter. It appears as though they feel that they are "untouchable" and it leaves an extremely negative view to people. For example, if you report to work for 10 months a year M - F, then you would work about 200 days per year (based on 20 working days per month). Deduct March break and 2 weeks for Christmas (15 days), so you are down to 185 days. I think most people would agree that have 20 sick days to cover 185 days of work is a bit extreme. After all, The Employment Standards Act has an Emergency Leave provision that allows employees 10 days per year. So again, as compared to most people their contract is extremely generous. Asking for more, or not being receptive to any concessions leaves a bitter taste in everyone's mouths! Yes, we can all become teachers if we are envious, but obviously that won't happen. The public has every right to opinions on government spending activity and they want the spending to be frugal, because that is how all other employment sectors and spending habits
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Well, I will not make a comment about the above posting Growler except to say the the original post was about Teacher Assistants, who do not have any of the above comparisons.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:22 pm

And thank u for liking my post, growler. It's funny you put it here, because when I was typing - well that was exactly the time that I thought about EA's getting UI in the summer.

Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:37 am

that may well be your intent but it was/is posted in a forum discussing teacher contracts .
and it apply's equally to teachers contracts !
and i also noticed the remarks about EAs not trying to ride on the coatails of the uic fund, which speeks volumes about them being responsble citizens !
and i feel it was one of the best replies to all of the posts i've seen on the subject !
and you probably noticed that a lot of the times i just sorta stir the pot on the other forum .
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Might of noticed that on occasion.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:05 pm

OH I can't believe that. He's tooo nice for that
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 pm

So are we discussing teachers or teacher's assisants?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down