Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ontario Strawberries

4 posters

Go down

Ontario Strawberries Empty Ontario Strawberries

Post by gale force Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:58 pm

At last, the most lip smacking berries are available. I've gotten used to anemic, bland, no taste berries during the winter in Florida. I must admit though, since the Florida growers crossed their berries with some imported from around this area, they are definitely better than in the past. I've spent some time today cleaning berries for the freezer......eating a few along the way of course....and will be making strawberry jam later this evening. It was always a standing joke with my mom when she made strawberry jam, and if by chance there was any left from the previous season, I only wanted to "new" jam because it tasted so much better! LOL Spoiled little brat that I was, she generally gave it to me.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Ontario Strawberries Empty Re: Ontario Strawberries

Post by Ruby Tuesday Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:24 pm

Where did you get your berries? We usually get ours from the 11th concession (I think), but I can't remember their names.

I told hubby to wait 'till Friday to pick them, b/c I thought we were going to get a good rain today. Last year I made a single batch and we ran out, which isn't the first time. So, this year it will be a double.

I didn't realize that the berries in FLA weren't as good.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:19 pm

I always get my berries at Judds on Decou Road. they may be a little more expensive but they are so carefully picked there were no spoiled berries at all in the 6 litres I got today.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:19 pm

I've heard a lot of people like Judds. We'll be picking shortly! I'm glad to see the rain for them. When I went to Woodstock today they were irrigating on 59 highway (strawberries).
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Spidubic Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:35 pm

Received our first quart today. Cannot wait to get home to eat them.
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 pm

I was back at Judds today for another basket of berries, and was talking with the young lady at the booth who told me that they have three different types of berries that ripen progressively. Thank goodness we're on the first species and not the last! Had berries in my cereal, berries in my salad, and then plain just by themselves for dessert at dinner. Can you tell I love strawberries!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Oh, I wish! I cannot eat anything except mashy mush.

I am going to make one more batch of jam this week, thinking the double batch I made won't last until next June. I think I'll mash up some berries so I son't miss them for the season!
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:15 am

I always freeze individual berries, package in freezer bags, to have after the season passes. When you defrost the berries, they mostly go to mush but the flavour remains!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:35 pm

I'm not really a strawberry fan. That being said, I've done all kinds of strawberry freezing, jams, preserves in the past as I love to bake with them. Desserts always taste so much better.
As GF said, FL strawberries are bland, tasteless and poor. Actually worse than that even in season!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down