Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey Gardeners

4 posters

Go down

Hey Gardeners Empty Hey Gardeners

Post by observer Tue May 22, 2012 6:40 pm

What's blooming in your flower beds right now that is looking gorgeous?

The problem with perennials, of course, is that their blooms are so short lived! The candy tuft is finally giving up - though it gave probably a month of white bloom - and will continue to be a pleasant green mound even through the winter.

Right now, I have some lovely purple and pink irises coming out - and amazing orange-red poppies. Some yellow azaleas - and darker yellow day lilies - are probably my favourites of the moment.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Hey Gardeners Empty Re: Hey Gardeners

Post by kishgo Tue May 22, 2012 7:03 pm

In my way too mature garden, there must be three dozen lillies that have not bloomed in three seasons. The periwinkle is taking over one area. Beautiful bleeding hearts (native to the island) and ferns are looking great. The ground flox is lovely too. My speciman hostas (really large) made it through the winter and look gorgeous. Lily of the valley is out too. We really need more colour in our garden.
I worked on the west garden, pulling out so many weeds and have planted hydrangea and a variety of hostas. Hopefully next season we will have the white snowball blooms.
Picked up some campullena (sp?) for the shoreline garden. Bought three planters with blooms good for shade and plan to pick up some hanging baskets too.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Wed May 23, 2012 9:07 am

I have two absolutely gorgeous clematis plants - one purple, and one burgundy and they are spread out all over the trellis. A couple of hanging pots one yellow and one purple. The rest are bushes, a flowering cherry, a black lace (something - I've forgotten the rest of the name) and another pretty bush that has varigated green/burgundy leaves and pink flowers. The front garden is all low spreading bushes with the exception of a large flowering cherry and a weeping type on the other side to balance the visuals. As you can tell, spending a lot of time in the garden is not high on my list of favourites.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Wed May 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Smile
my wife has several clematis's, some in bloom now, and some later summer,and some in the fall.
some of the different ones came from the us via me when still working.not declared to customs, as the grower gave them to me, but i did have phyto slips for them all.
and she also has a lot of hosta's as well as another plant that most think is a hosta, but is edible !
she planted it after me suggesting it, where there were open spaces in the flower garden,(45% of the back yard!).
it's rhubarb !
we eat it in the spring as it is early, but helps define the garden, and then regrows afterwards looking hosta like !
a bit different, just like my wife's husband ! lol!
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Wed May 23, 2012 1:55 pm

I did something similar last year Growler. I potted a zuccinni plant for my front porch. Just wanted the large leaf and even the orange bloom for fill in. the bonus was that I even got 1 zuccinni off it. LOL
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed May 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I think I'll look for a rhubarb plant to use in the east garden. It will fill the space and give us something to eat. I love rhubarb custard pie!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down