Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the gardeners among us

5 posters

Go down

For the gardeners among us Empty For the gardeners among us

Post by observer Thu May 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Do any of you have a favourite tree? - magnolia, red bud, birch? - or flowering shrub? or flower? I love magnolias - tho' don't have one. My mother used to have one that became huge! I do have a red bud that I got last year - it's weeping variety - and I love it.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

For the gardeners among us Empty Re: For the gardeners among us

Post by retired2 Thu May 10, 2012 9:40 pm

We have a Japanese Maple Which is one of our favorites.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Thu May 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Red buds are very nice. We have just under a three acre yard, so we've make lots of very large flower beds - and those fancy trees don't come cheap!

I like crab apples when they are flowering, as well as the smell of lilacs. I like most weeping varieties. I have a weeping red birtch that I think is cool.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Thu May 10, 2012 9:44 pm

The wife has been after me to plant some flowers with all this nice weather so I finally got started today while she was out.
Guess what, she's still not happy

For the gardeners among us Rednec12
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Thu May 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Embarassed Trust YOU retired! Embarassed
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Thu May 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Ruby Tuesday wrote:Red buds are very nice. We have just under a three acre yard, so we've make lots of very large flower beds - and those fancy trees don't come cheap!

I like crab apples when they are flowering, as well as the smell of lilacs. I like most weeping varieties. I have a weeping red birtch that I think is cool.

When I was even FIVE years younger, I would have been envious of that huge yard, Ruby. NOW - the beds that I have keep me busy enough!

You're right about the beauty of the crab apples, tho' - but then, you have the mess of those little apples later in the year to deal with, when they fall off. And, did your crab apples bloom as vigorously this year as other years? Mine didn't, I thought.

For aroma, I really like the little daphne that I have - smells great - tho' yes lilacs also smell nice. I just find them to be a bit too invasive - like forsythias. They just keep putting out babies, which might be great in 3 acres - but gets a little overbearing on a town lot.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Fri May 11, 2012 10:41 am

Sad
on our property near glen meyer,(1sq.ft less than an acre)i had red buds,flowering crabs,maples (3 variety's but no manitobas')spruce, pine,chokecherry,cedar,lilacs (5 variety's)smoke bush,dogwood,(thewhite one that will not grow north of # 3 hiway) apple tree's,pear tree',peaches,elms (2 i kept from being infected,but they are dead now,the new owner didn't bother spraying the trunks2 times a year) and one red and one black oak.
oh yeah a catalpa and some others i don't remember the names of.
i enjoyed all of them, some were there when my parents bought the property,and i added about 65 or 70% of them.
my wife worked very hard helping maintain them,plus she had a large pereniall plantings as well !

memory just started working(partly) black locust 2 of em.

For the gardeners among us 2726502055
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Fri May 11, 2012 6:51 pm

At my home in Simcoe, I had a Ivory silk lilac, a native lilac, Redbud, crabapple, red maple, sugar maple, two columnar pears and a golden rain tree (often called a golden chain tree).
In my Bulington city home, one honey locust, one blue spruce and shrubs.
At our summer home, tons of non blooming native lilacs, birch, oak and a few evergreens. It's quite rocky here so vegetation has to be really hardy.
The Eastern Red Bud and Golden Rain tree have to be my favourites.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down