Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easter Sunday

5 posters

Go down

Easter Sunday Empty Easter Sunday

Post by observer Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Does everyone have family plans for Easter?

My "group" has become smaller and smaller each year, it seems. Years ago, when my mother was still alive, and it was "my turn" there would 16-20 people. After that, each of the sibs did their own thing - and I was down to 8 or sometimes 10. Now, with my daughter in Australia, I have just my son - and his son is with his mother this year; the brother who always used to come has since passed away; and my mother-in-law is not comfortable with getting in and out of cars; so add a friend who's been on the list for years and years- would have been an unbelievably low number of 4! But, a sister-in-law who is hosting family pre- Sunday, is also coming, making it an almost worthwhile number of 6!

What about the rest of you?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Easter Sunday Empty Re: Easter Sunday

Post by longtallsally Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:44 pm

It's amazing how a mother is the one who binds her adult kids together. Observer, are you sad that your siblings now do their own thing? We are having 7 to 9 people, including a couple that isn't normally part of the group. This is fewer than we normally have. Actually, I was waiting for an invite to one of our guest's homes instead, but it didn't come, so we're hosting again, as usual.

longtallsally

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Sally - not so much sad that the siblings do their own thing - they would happily include us in their gatherings - or at least, some would. It's more wanting to carry on the tradition of having it in MY home - with my offspring and guests. An unattainable concept, unfortunately - but I keep aiming! LOL
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:43 pm

My mother used to do the hosting and since she passed in 1980, it hasn't been the same. Ever. But lately, as in the past ten to fifteen years, I have become that host especially with my new hubby. His family loves to come over to eat and chat.
This Easter we are serving 11. I'd love to have a few others join us but our house will be packed at a dozen.
Because Saturday looks to be a lovely day, we are having an Easter Egg Hunt too. The little ones will love it! As well, I've made up Easter bags for them too. Mostly dollar store stuff, but not all.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:51 pm

So, what Easter eggs do you hunt? The real thing - i.e. eggs - or the chocolate ones?

We always bought the foil wrapped tiny chocolate eggs - and depending on the age of the kids (and the weather) - hid most indoors - and then sometimes, outdoors. THEN, my husband would take from the kids' baskets and drop them into his pocket (when they weren't looking) - and drop several again through the hole in his pocket.

Didn't really matter that they eventually figured it out. It was fun!

Memories are great things!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:58 pm

No real eggs for us! I bought a huge bagful at the Bulk Barn today, the choc. ones.
We have an Easter Egg Hung Starting line/sign where all the kids have to start. I've provided the baskets. Decided that they didn't have to wear bunny ears, but I could change my mind about that! We have one family member who will not encourage those lovely childhood fantasies, such as the Easter Bunny, tooth Fairy, Santa Claus etc. Not sure how they will feel about the Easter Egg Hunt but I truly don't care. At two years of age, I'm not so sure she will understand it all, just have fun collecting the eggs.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 pm

Oh dear - no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny??? How may of us have suffered irreversible life long issues because we were once told there really WAS a Santa Claus or an Easter Bunny?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Well, according to my hubby's daughter, she was 'scarred for life' when she learned that her parents had LIED to her about it.
Really? Scarred for life???? Give me a break. If that's the worst she suffered, she's a very lucky person!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:37 pm

Not much here for Easter.
We are decidedly non-Christian so the whole churchy thing is out. No real special meal.
Have friends who are observing the Pagan holiday celebrating the Goddess Ostera. Yet another Pagan celebration railroaded by the Roman church.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:44 pm

slowfood - you sure sound like an "ex-Roman" to me. Sorta like the "ex-smokers" who are more adamant about the smoke - and the "ex-religious" who were once part of that commanilty- and then THOUGHT about it!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Nope never Catholic and only slightly scarred by my first wife's extreme Christian fundamentalist family .
Have many friends going down the spiritual/Wiccan/Pagan path. Many discussions, much research , much reasoning have come together to help me form my conclusions.
It strikes me funny that these so-called Christian holidays and their "traditions" are always trotted out (on the solstices) and when put under a microscope are all found to be old Pagan events.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:06 pm

spritual/Wiccan/pagan path sounds interesting.

Yes, I agree that many of the "Christian" holidays have their roots elsewhere - or at least were set up to coincide with "Pagan" holidays. Probably helped with the "conversions".

BUT - it is still very interesting that you suggest that you have many friends looking elsewhere for some "spiritual" place to hang their hats. Seems then, that most of us want to believe in a super power of some sort - whether "traditional" by our standards - or just "traditional" by the standards of people from long ago, for the most part.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Spidubic Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:13 pm

My Aunt is having dinner Monday. Of course no one told my cousin who does not have to work Monday that most people do work Monday. So it will make for a bit of a rush.

Far as religion goes I think I am Atheist. Rolling Eyes
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 pm

A lot of atheists THINK they are - until "the bell tolls".

Not being critical at all - cause I think I am too. LOL

Just isn't a norm to "think" you are, I think.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Spidubic Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 pm

I only go to church for weddings, pretty sure am going to catch fire every time I am in one. Rolling Eyes And the older I get the more I begin to feel the bible and church were designed to control the masses. As for dying, cool as it sounds to go to a better place I have always felt in the back of my mind that dying is like flicking the power switch on Data from Star Trek. All we were just ceases to exist. I mean think about it. What is the point of life if when you die there is nothing to look forward too?

:I'm sorry:
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:29 pm

Feel very much as you do, spidubic; that religion has been a means to control the masses. A promise of a better life "hereafter" for suffering in this one. "And the meek shall inherit the earth"

Not a whole bunch difference in philosophy, in some sense, from becoming a martyr for a cause. Hasn't Christianity also praised the "martyr for a cause" as Islam is now doing - with such a negative effect on a lot of our Western world?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down