Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Direct Energy

2 posters

Go down

Direct Energy Empty Direct Energy

Post by observer Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Re an article in the weekend Star, Direct Energy is changing its water heater rental contracts.

As of now, if you want to switch suppliers, or buy your own water heater, you can remove the water heater at any time with no cost. You may be charged $75 if you want THEM to disconnect and remove and retrieve the tank.

As of Apr. 2, if you plan to cancel your contract with them, there will be a buyout fee ranging from $100 - $1000.

Is there something wrong with this picture?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Direct Energy Empty Re: Direct Energy

Post by gale force Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:10 pm

I read that article also observer, but thought that Reliance and Direct were two entities. My hot water tank is a rental from Reliance and I thought it would not apply. I guess I'd better try and find a phone number for Reliance and try and get an answer.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:36 am

Read this morning in the Toronto Star that Direct Energy had taken such a hit when they announced this policy that they have cancelled implementation. the response was such the phone lines were overwhelmed, and the deadline extended to May 1, then completely ditched.

What do you know.......the little people won one!!! cheers
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:58 pm

This is the only thing I could find on the net today about Direct Energy's plans:

Currently, if a heater is rented from Direct Energy, it can be removed at no cost, or for a small fee. But on May 1, that will change.

Under the new agreement, if a contract is cancelled, the renter will have to pay a buy-out fee of between $200 and $3,000, depending on the size and year of the tank.

The change affects 600,000 customers.

It affects homeowners with water heaters older than seven to eight years. If a heater is newer, it will not be affected. If customers signed up with Direct Energy after September, 2010, they're already in the new contract.

I'm hoping that what you heard is correct, gale force, and they have rescinded the policy completely.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:58 pm

gale force wrote:I read that article also observer, but thought that Reliance and Direct were two entities. My hot water tank is a rental from Reliance and I thought it would not apply. I guess I'd better try and find a phone number for Reliance and try and get an answer.

Hubby called Reliance - and, yes, they said the article did NOT apply to them. Direct Energy is a different company.

Sorry if I led anyone astray.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down