Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Price club

+2
kishgo
retired2
6 posters

Go down

Price club Empty Price club

Post by retired2 Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Does anyone know if the new Price club in Ancestor is open yet???
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Price club Empty Re: Price club

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Price Club? Same as Costco but a competitor? Do you have any idea where it is being built? I'll have look when we go through Ancaster on Friday.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Price club and Costco are the same. New one in Ancestor right beside the old one. Just wondering if open yet
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:24 pm

I wondered about the names! Is the new one larger than the old? Has the old building been incorporated with the new?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 pm

It opened on Thursday, the new Costco
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:41 pm

You are the closest kishgo, keep us informed
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Retired2..you just said it opened on Thursday. Did you want me to scope it out for you? List please? LOL
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Does it have a gas bar??????
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:33 am

Will check.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:11 am

We are going today if weather permits.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:19 am

What does a membership at Costco cost these days?

When you're ahousehold of two, are the savings enough to justify the cost of membership? - plus the gas to get there?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 am

No, I don't feel it's worth the extra money usually. We just joined again after an 8 year hiatas.
In the city, Costco is quite literally five minutes from our house. Hubby loves a cereal that is only availabe there and I love the huge roll of tin foil. In the past, we've just asked our neighbour to pick up these two items for us.
However, at the cottage, grocery stores are limited and very expensive. Our monthly food bill soars to $1000 or higher per month due to lots of wonderful company and now with 'boater' friends who stop in for a drink and a nibble or two, often dinner. There is a Costco within an hour from our place and so this year we are going to see if shopping there makes a difference. It wasn't unusual for us, if we had to return to Burlington, that we would mega shop at Fortino's, freezer the meat and fish and take it back with us. Never did find a great fish market near the cottage.
What do you consider a regular grocery bill per month for two? Ours is about $500-600. We entertain about once a month.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:27 am

Ours is about the same; considerably more in the summer and in Dec. when we do most of our entertaining. Otherwise, it's probably company for dinner once a month.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:40 am

When I think of that much monthly expense for 2 people - and there's VERY little pre-prepared food or junk food on that list - I can imagine how difficult it must be for people with families, just to pay for groceries, let alone, electricity, heat and fuel for the car(s).

So, if that bill were to jump up to even $800/month - then a person on the low end of the earning scale, bringing home $10/hr. would have to work 80 hours just to feed the family - 2 40 hr. weeks! No wonder the food banks are so well used!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:38 pm

So Retired2...gas bar? Better selection or just too much?
My GF and I never call it Costco. We have renamed it the $200 Club as that seems to be the amount she leaves every visit.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Gas bar will go where the old building is now. Shinny clean new building but no specials that interested us but still spent $200.00. Found a great new bird feeder.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:25 pm

They had a very up to date grocery section

Price club 42579010
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:41 pm

With all the Costcos and WalMarts, Canadian Super Stores and huge Canadian Tires, is there any future at all for "small" outlets?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:16 am

No, I think that the small stores will continue to hurt for quite sometime. I love the larger stores - what it means for me are less stops. I love the Superstore. I can get pretty much everything there, including prescriptions & even make-up or socks if needed! Less stops for me = less time & time for me is precious. When you don't have a lot of free time it becomes more important - therefore worth more!

We don't have a Costco membership, but we do have a BJ's Wholesale membership. They are about 15 mins across the Fort Erie border. The annual savings in poulty for us more than pays our gas to go 3 or 4 times a year, plus our membership (can't remember, but I think the membership was $40 US this year). It's only about an extra 1/2 hour for us to go there then it is for us to go to Ancaster, and about 3/4 hour longer for us to go there as opposed to us going to London. We spend anywhere from $400 to $800 a trip (if we buy other hard goods in the store). I am going next weekend. Ooops, might hit a mall or two while I am there Very Happy

Since there are no duties applicable to basic groceries you do not pay anything at the border. There are limits to the amount of poultry you can bring back, as well as the amount of dairy. I can't remember the exact amounts, but you can find them on CBS website. It's lots though to allow us to stock up quarterly.

I know some folks think that it's not a good idea to take the $ out of the Country or that we should shop local, but for me it's about selection & price. I get both when I go state-side. If the dollar stays up I'm going to save even more next weekend ... or maybe I will just spend more ... hmm?
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Gebo Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:59 am

Got in there for a visit and once inside, it was almost identical to the old...did not notice a gas bar but have heard there will be one
Gebo
Gebo

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:44 pm

kishgo wrote:No, I don't feel it's worth the extra money usually. We just joined again after an 8 year hiatas.
In the city, Costco is quite literally five minutes from our house. Hubby loves a cereal that is only availabe there and I love the huge roll of tin foil. In the past, we've just asked our neighbour to pick up these two items for us.
However, at the cottage, grocery stores are limited and very expensive. Our monthly food bill soars to $1000 or higher per month due to lots of wonderful company and now with 'boater' friends who stop in for a drink and a nibble or two, often dinner. There is a Costco within an hour from our place and so this year we are going to see if shopping there makes a difference. It wasn't unusual for us, if we had to return to Burlington, that we would mega shop at Fortino's, freezer the meat and fish and take it back with us. Never did find a great fish market near the cottage.
What do you consider a regular grocery bill per month for two? Ours is about $500-600. We entertain about once a month.

pirat
isn't fortino's a great place to shop !
i got to buying grocery's there and bringing them home after delivering loads of watermolons from the US.
after the first load into them, i found the prices and quality to be great !
and the way they treated me when i delivered, i put them near the top of my call list anytime i was going to anywhere near an area that was shipping in the 6 month season !
fair,honest, and always paid COD in cash with no questions.
great people, great goods, just none in the norfolk area .
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down