Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cottage Time

+3
gale force
retired2
kishgo
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cottage Time Empty Cottage Time

Post by kishgo Sat May 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Last year we opened the cottage on March 31st. Here it is, the first week of May and we still aren't there and quite possibly may not be there until next week. All the docks at the marina are still submerged. The water line is retreating but too slowly to suit my needs.
Being home just forces us to do some necessary evils around here. I put in five hours staining the deck until the stain ran out. Now we have to order another can which gives me a bit of a reprieve. I suggested we order two cans, but my vote didn't count. (Hmmm...yet I do all the staining!!)
The garden beds are looking a bit sad too. I'll say it's because nothing is blooming yet. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Cottage Time Empty Re: Cottage Time

Post by retired2 Sat May 04, 2013 9:47 pm

2 yards of red mulch has been spread on the peranial gardens and both deck cleaned. Annuals will be planted in a week or so. Might even clean and paint the other half of the garage, did the other half 2 years ago. Dpn't want to rush into these things
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sat May 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Mulching is a great way to deter weeds and keep roots moist plus it makes everything appear fresh again. We use the black mulch, liking the contrast to our reddish brick coloured house. When we put it on about 10 years ago, we had a hard time finding it but now it's everywhere.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 am

I've been busy working outside also. Cut and trimmed the grass yesterday and then put down that "All in 1" product (grass seed/fertilizer/mulch) that I had to go to Canadian Tire to get. Hauled out the furniture and put it up on the deck (I know, I know I should have cleaned the deck first but I needed someplace to sit down!!) Next step is getting some more mulch (I like the red also R2) and getting it spread around.

I was wondering if you had been affected with the flooding in cottage country Kishgo. Do you know if you have any damage?
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun May 05, 2013 8:00 am

I can't see how there wouldn't be any damage but to date, we've not heard much. I suspect that once we are there, we'll hear more from the locals and be able to judge for ourselves.
I'm anxious to see if there is any winter damage to the cottage. Hopefully not!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon May 06, 2013 10:36 am

i'm now wondering what colour of mulch i should buy ?
can i get pink with purple and green polka dots in it or just red,brown or ?
just wondering ?
confused Cottage Time 1601752442
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon May 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Today I called the marina to inquire about the water levels. Still quite high but they have two boats in the water tied to the break wall. Ours is one of them, another boat to a fellow islander. (Stupid citidiots, as we are affectionately called by the marina guys, can't they wait? NO!!!) We are off on Wednesday morning for five days and then home again for two doctor's appointments. (Stitches out and a general checkup) Then off again on next Wednesday for the long weekend. Home again for biopsy results and then maybe a long time at the cottage of about six weeks. The marina hopes the water levels to be more normal by the weekend.

It's been a tough day. I was at the lab having blood work done for my yearly annual checkup when the secretary from my doctor's office (in the same building) came into the lab to ask if I was still there. A family emergency. My DIL was hysterical and needed me right away the secretary said. My DIL's 15 year old dog had passed away at home and she was beside herself wondering what to do. So, finished the blood work and drove over there. Her hubby came home from TO. Kids were picked up after school by another grandmother while my hubby and I and SIL/DIL cut away some of the carpet and transported the body to the vet's for cremation. It was a very emotional time.

Lesson learned. Always carry your cell phone so you can be reached. My cell number is for emergencies only and I goofed royally.

kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Mon May 06, 2013 10:06 pm

Sounds like a very emotional day during a trying time. Without intruding on your privacy Kishgo, I hope any medical problems are resolved positively. Hope everything is OK up at the cottage also.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 am

Thanks for your concern GF. My blood work was just part of my annual checkup.
Hubby has ongoing skin cancer issues and usually we can stop the growths before they become too invasive. He has gone from monthly check ups, to every other month, to three and lately to six. However, I was watching one spot on his temple and it was changing and spreading. As soon as we returned from FL, it was check up time for him. His Dr. knew it was malignant just by looking at it. So, out came a big chunk, enough to hopefully include all the cancer cells. Week two the stitches came out, week 3 biopsy results. Not good. He had to have more removed, a three inch slice and a bit deep. Lots of stitches. Today the second round will be removed and next week we get the results. hubby really doesn't worry about it, he's had far worse than this before. (Like the one that went from his eye to his jaw, down the cheek.) He remains upbeat and optimistic all the time. I don't worry about the dozen little benign growths but the larger ones scare me. 10 000 people in Canada die every year from skin cancers. Scary!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue May 07, 2013 9:09 am

Your strength is evidenced by the way you are handling things Kishgo. The waiting time is always the worst in my opinion. Imagination and fear take over. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you and hubby.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun May 12, 2013 7:09 pm

GF thanks for the vote of confidence. But really, we have learned to live with it. We don't fluff off the results if not to our liking, but thanks to many friends who 'listen' I can 'carry on'. Waiting is the worst part, for anything, good or bad.

Due to the deplorable weather conditions, we decided to head home from the cottage early Sunday morning, loading the boat about 8 AM. Shortly before boarding, we heard two fishermen calling for help. (Couldn't miss their distress shouts, they were just metres from our dock!!) They had run out of gas. (Silently, I said, "Are you kidding me????" It turned out that it was a brand new boat and as we know, boys will be boys, and they had so much fun fishing and boating on Saturday, they thought they would continue on Sunday. They didn't check their gas gauge.) We didn't have any extra gas on the island either, so we towed them to our marina where we were headed anyway. As it turns out, the marina is on their way home as well! Week one, one rescue. Perhaps more to go.

As well, our water pump decided to give up. Come on, after only 20 years????? So that's our next little project to complete before company arrives on Friday.

The cottage is extremely dirty this spring, filled with cobwebs and spiders, both dead and alive. Two rooms cleaned and many more to go before Friday. I need a cleaning assistant!

We put down our main dock, quite uneventful thankfully, but it all takes time. Now the first dock extension was another matter. We were both in the water at various points, with waders and gee, no waterproof tops. Sweaters, hands and arms were cold and wet, especially for my brave and determined hubby. Water temp. 36 degrees F. It sure wakes you up in a hurry!

Isn't cottage life so relaxing?! But we love it!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

We are starting to know you Kishgo! You will relax, oh perhaps about after Thanksgiving at the cottage!! Until then, you will be in almost constant motion, preparing for company, greeting company, serving delicious meals to company, clearing away after those meals, and doing up all the bedding after company leaves. but.....we know you love it!! Hope you have a great cottage season!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon May 13, 2013 2:13 pm

yeah i hope you do too ! !
i've run out of video's i took of you twwo last summer,so i got my super secret camera pointed into your window to get fresh photo's.
so i hope it gets really hot there so you go to bed with only a smile on !
gee.....i...m... excited ! ! !
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon May 13, 2013 5:48 pm

You know me too well GF! We will have a great season but with less company I think. So far, we have only four couples booked for August , no one for July only because we are waiting for our very busy adult children to make a commitment. I'm only holding July for a week or two and then others will have an invitation extended to them. I don't think the 'youngsters' like island life.
And growler, I always smile when I think of you! Hehehe.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Hubby 'just' remembered to tell me that his biospy results are in and all is cancer free again. Hurray!! Next checkup will be very late October. (Hehehe, he wants to beat you to FL GF!)

Last edited by kishgo on Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Great news
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle jack Mon May 13, 2013 9:28 pm

Shocked no one booked for july well i just happen to have some free time in july Twisted Evil cheers Cottage Time 3839525478 Cottage Time 580207494
uncle jack
uncle jack

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 pm

So glad to hear that good news Kishgo. Tentative plans are for latter part of the first week in November for departure south, but who knows what may happen between now and then!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue May 14, 2013 7:03 am

(Shh, it'll be our secret GF!)
Maybe UJack should be kept a secret too! LOL
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Tue May 14, 2013 10:50 am

i read yesterday that you are going to be allowed to stay in the us longer now than you could before.
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Tue May 14, 2013 11:19 am

Yes, they want your money
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 am

I missed reading anything about that. How much longer do you know?
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Tue May 14, 2013 12:16 pm

8 month instaed of 6

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/us-bills-propose-longer-stays-for-canadian-vacationers/article11884047/
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Spidubic Tue May 14, 2013 12:45 pm

Of course the US would love this. It is a win/win for them. Canadian's come down there for 8 months and spend their money and the US has to spend nothing. If anything Canadian business loses out.
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Tue May 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Your right Spidubic, I think these people should have to pay an extra tax to Canada for every day they living out of the country.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next