Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

United Way

2 posters

Go down

United Way Empty United Way

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:35 pm

Has anyone had dealings with The United
Way? I see that they are looking for both board members and volunteers. I am looking to gain some volunteer type exposure as experience and goodwill on my resume. I don't have any knowledge on this group, so input would be appreciated please!?
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

United Way Empty Re: United Way

Post by growler Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 pm

hi there rt,
i had a bit to do with the uw,as my wife worked at their office for about 10 1/2 years.
then about 15 or 16 months ago the director was let go suddenly and as she didn't want the responsibility of having that job,the board hired anotherto be the director ! then the new director found that because of the board having hired someone without all of the requirements for the job,she took it upon herself to rectify the problem ! so she had a job audit done,for the 5 prevous years, on my wife that came back with no problems being noted ! then as they have a yearly financial audit done, asked the accountant hired to do a financial audit on the way my wifehad handled the office budget for the 9 months she was in charge of it in 2011.
and it came back with positive results say she had done a great job while doing it,and claimed she had run the budget better than what it had been to the point of saving the uw over $5000.in 9 months of the year and commenting it would likely have been nearer $7500. if she had been in charge of it the entire year !
so she then went to the board saying that as my wife wasn't a credited accountant (which the united way says one on staff must be,but there had never been on the simcoe staff in it's history!)so they had to hire someone that was qualified for that job !
prior to this being brought to the boards attention she had aquired 4 new board members and there were 4 pror members at the meeting so they had a vote on the request to terminate my wife, whit the vote being tied via the older board members voting no and her neew members voting yes, so she voted to break the tie and voted my wife be terminated ! the older board members and one of the new one's voted to give her a substantial severance package but with some quirky rules included in it ?
so i no longer support the uw for any fund drives, even though my wife was asked by another charitable group that worked with the uw to put on one or two events per year as the uw had no one to fill-in for what she had done in the event,so she has went to help out,but for the other groups benefit !
if i sound bitter, it is because i am ! and another bit of info to go with this is that two of the old board members who were upset over what took place with my wife resigned fromthe board, causing some of the presnt board member shortage ! (i think it was the treasurer and president of the board, and as i was only told these facts it should be taken as hearsay information!) oh and something else is that my wife shed a lot of tears over this as she had hoped it would be the last place that she would work,and i hoped it would to as if we had known it wasn't tobe we would have never sold our home and moved to simcoe,as i built the other,planning on dyeing there!
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Well, I guess I asked for input so I got some! Maybe I may have been expecting more positive feedback! Anyhow, ask and you shall receive I guess.

Actually, they are looking to fill director positions (right now anyways).
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down