Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Costco, why I refuse to shop there

+3
growler
kishgo
Spidubic
7 posters

Go down

Costco, why I refuse to shop there Empty Costco, why I refuse to shop there

Post by Spidubic Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Kishgo wants more discussion on the forum so lets talk Costco. Last year I ended up getting a Costco card. Thought it would be a good thing to have. It came with an American Express card. First mistake. We go to Costco that weekend which is a few days after the day said our membership would be ready. The person at the counter hummed and hawed about us not saving a card even though I had been told I would not need it right away. She reluctantly gave us a temp card. A week later I get the American Express card which said I needed to call and cancel this card then get my picture taken so it could go on the card. I contacted Costco and informed them I did not want the American Express card. They said fine just go in and get a regular card. We tried this a month or so later and were told they would not do it as I had signed up for the American Express card. Ths was contrary to what I had been told by Costco. The year has gone by without us getting to Costco again thus I bought the years membership for nothing. Was not impressed with the lady who sold me the membership nor the seeming lack of communication between Costco stores and upper management. Needless to say we will not be renewing the membership. When looking at the two, maybe three times a year we might go there is no way the savings would amount to more that the $60 membership fee.
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Costco, why I refuse to shop there Empty Re: Costco, why I refuse to shop there

Post by kishgo Mon May 13, 2013 7:16 am

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience. Ours was exactly the opposite. Our membership expired about four or five years ago. The lady in customer service looked it up, saw that we had not renewed it, said that was okay and gave us a temporary card right on the spot with only the renewal fee. No mention of American Express at all. A week later, the two cards arrived in the mail. And that was it!
We only decided to renew it as Costco is a huge store near our cottage and it is much cheaper to purchase items in quantity. It is 45 minutes away from us. The very close by grocery stores charge an arm and leg for everything. RCSS is just about 10 min. away but I don't like their meat.

Anyone else have good or not so good issues with them?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Spidubic Mon May 13, 2013 9:05 am

If they were closer I might feel different but when the closest is Ancaster and with the price of gas it just makes more sense for us to buy locally.
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 am

we used to buy a lot from costco,in london,when my bride worked there.
prior to that i had a membership in the pace outlets in the usa,similar to costco.
but just when i started to really buying stuff on a regular basis,after finding an outlet in toledo,next to I-75,and another in flint,near I-69,plus haaving bought the original membership in buffalo,near I-90,K-Mart,the owner of pace,sold out to Sam's clubs.
Sam's gave me a 2 year membership for free,but they were all hard to get to with the truck,so i quit using my membership.
then my wife got to use her costco card that the united way bought for the 10 years she was there,but i think she gave up on her membership after the way she was treated by them (mis-treated)?
but i guess it's ok,but after being spoiled by pace i never got hooked on any others !
i think it was the pricing that pace had (sam's prices were 20% higher than pace) that got me hooked on them.
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 am

We are Costco shoppers, go 6 - 8 times a year. You do have to know your prices. What we save on a couple of items pays for the gas and the rest is savings. Savings on baby aspirin alone will pay for the gas and lunch is cheap, the pizza is nice and greasy, just like Wally used to make.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Mon May 13, 2013 1:43 pm

Neighbours in my park down south buy a membership when they get down to Florida. Before they head back north they go in and somehow get refunded their membership money, virtually having the benefits without any cost! I'm not sure if its Costco or Sam's club, I know they are both in the area. They aren't alone in doing this either.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon May 13, 2013 2:04 pm

yeah gf they are somewhat like caa on their health insurance for travellers,soo that maybe what it is ?
when i had my pace membership,i used to buy stuff for friends and neighbors when needed.
3or4 pressure washers,gas powered,tirs for cars and p/u trucks,and battery's for anything,cars/pu,lawnmowers,motorcycles etc.
onn battery's for big rigs,4 per truck,exide brand here were over $90.each,but over there were just under $30.so with exchange at the time under $50.,so i could save $160. on a set.
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon May 13, 2013 5:52 pm

You really do have to be aware of prices. Costco chicken is no cheaper or better than Fortino's on sale. BUT, their vitamins, aspirin etc are extremely cheaper than anywhere else at any time. My gyn/obs said he always buys his supplements at Costco. He says the ingredients are fine and do the job cost effectively. Costco is quite literally five minutes from our doorstep in the city. At the cottage, a good 45 min. so we try to stock up before we leave,which would be Wednesday.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Mon May 13, 2013 8:19 pm

We have a membership at BJ's Wholesale Club in Amherst, NY. It's a 2 hour drive, so we only go a few times a year. On the chicken wing savings alone we pay our gas and supper. I think the membership is 40 US per year. They also have temporary passes so you could try it without buying a membership, which is something Cosco doesn't offer.

Groceries are mainly Hst exempt, so no issues coming across the border with several hundred dollars worth.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Tue May 14, 2013 11:15 pm

If you shop at Costco you need to take a calculator to get to the unit price.
Their container sizes are odd sizes so it is hard to do the math in your head.
We used to shop there but haven't for years, cannot see any savings.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down