Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today In Time

Go down

Today In Time Empty Today In Time

Post by observer Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 am

1558 - Smoking tobacco introduced in Europe by Francisco Fernandes.

1836 - Samuel Colt manufactures 1st pistol, 34-caliber "Texas" model

1922 - Annie Oakley broke all existing records for women’s trap shooting. She smashed 98 out of 100 clay targets thrown at 16 yards while at a match at the Pinehurst Gun Club in North Carolina. She hit the first fifty, missed the 51st, then the 67th.

1933 - Germany's Nazi Party wins majority in parliament (43.9%-17.2M votes)

1946 - Winston Churchill delivered his famous Iron Curtain Speech at Fulton, MO, “From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.”

1953 - Russia - Josef V Stalin dies at 73; Soviet dictator responsible for 11 million deaths.

1960 - Elvis Presley returned to civilian life after a two-year hitch in the U.S. Army. Not since General Douglas MacArthur returned from battle has a soldier received such publicity. Elvis said he probably would not be growing his famous and long sideburns back, though he did relent in later years.

1963 - Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas and Hankshaw Hawkins were killed in a plane crash at Camden, TN, near Nashville. The famous country music stars were returning from a benefit performance.

1969 - Gold reaches then record high ($47 per ounce) in Paris

1980 - Woodland Hills California - Jay Silverheels dies; born Harold J. Smith May 26, 1919 on the Six Nations Reserve, Brantford Ontario; lacrosse player, boxer, actor, he played The Lone Ranger's sidekick Tonto; founded the Indian Actors Workshop in 1963.

1982 - Hawaii - John Belushi, comedian, Saturday Night Live, dies of drug overdose at 32.

1993 - Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson was banned for life from racing by the International Amateur Athletics Federation (IAAF) after he failed a dope test. Johnson also had been forced out of the 1988 Seoul Olympics after failing a drug test.

1994 - Largest milkshake (1,955 gallons of chocolate-Nelspruit S Africa)

BIRTHDAYS
1908 - Rex (Reginald Carey) Harrison - Academy Award-winning actor: My Fair Lady [1964]; Cleopatra, Dr. Dolittle, The Agony and the Ecstasy; died Jun 2, 1990
1948 - Eddy Grant - singer, songwriter: Living on the Front Line, Do You Feel My Love, I Don’t Wanna Dance, Electric Avenue, Romancing the Stone; group: Equals: Baby Come Back, Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys; owned studio: Coach House Studios, another in Barbados
1958 - Andy (Andrew Roy) Gibb -singer: group: The Bee Gees; solo: Love is Thicker than Water, I Just Want to be Your Everything, Shadow Dancing, [Our Love] Don’t Throw It all Away; host of TV’s Solid Gold; died Mar 10, 1988

observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Today In Time Empty Re: Today In Time

Post by observer Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:58 pm

1946 - Winston Churchill delivered his famous Iron Curtain Speech at Fulton, MO, “From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the Continent.”

Always interesting to learn - or be reminded of - the origins of a term which has become part of our common vocabulary and understanding.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:19 pm

1953 - Russia - Josef V Stalin dies at 73; Soviet dictator responsible for 11 million deaths.

Worse than Hitler, some say, yet not nearly as reviled!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 pm

1948 - Eddy Grant - singer, songwriter: Living on the Front Line, Do You Feel My Love, I Don’t Wanna Dance, Electric Avenue, Romancing the Stone; group: Equals: Baby Come Back, Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys; owned studio: Coach House Studios, another in Barbados

I LOVE Eddy Grant and his reggae! Anyone else?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down