Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Service Clubs

3 posters

Go down

Service Clubs Empty Service Clubs

Post by observer Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Are they just about a thing of the past?

My husband has been a member of the Delhi Kinsen Club since the 1970's - and it, among others, is almost a thing of the past. No new members.

Then again, sometimes the new "regulations" make some of the service efforts difficult to handle.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Service Clubs Empty Re: Service Clubs

Post by growler Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:58 am

i know a gent who belongs to the kinsmen in simcoe,who continualy asks people to suggest worthy projects,but the only thing that get suggested are thing in the midst of controversy !
people have to learn about specific things to have worked on !
i think up worthy projects (i think) but most have detractors that get very defensive or critical of them !
like for instance silver lake, the minority want it left drained and will fight to leave it that way,and have been willing to get other people invoved in the fight !
so how could any service club embrace such a project ?
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:14 pm

I've been a Lion since 1979, and it is more difficult to operate these days with all of the Red Tape put up by the County.
Expensive insurance coverage, and forms that you need a lawyer's help to fill out. Interestingly the County provides extra services in this regard to those events they view as favoured. Depends on certain people's connections it seems.
The County seems to view most service clubs as a burden ,a pain in the butt instead of people who provide services that governments do not, taking off some of the load and helping people here.
And yes it is difficult to attract new members.It seems the times they are a changin'. The demographic that provided all the service club members in the past seems to have disappeared. People's priorities seem to have changed to more of an internal type instead of external .
I could write volumes on this subject, and my experiences with local government while heading up other not-for-profit organizations.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:39 am

it was suggested ,by a health proffesional from an ontario medical university,that i needed a machine to provide a type of exercise.
so my bride and myself researched the types of equipment built for this purpose, and while doing so found that many others here at nhnh should use this type of eqipment ! so after seeing the price was a bit more than i fellt we should invest we brought it to the attention of the director of care here (at nhnh)!
at this point we were told if it only cost 50% as much they would buy one but at that price could not justify purchasing it !
shortly afterwards a gent representing a church group offered a cheque for 50% of the cost! i was elated !
the director and others in charge here were not at all happy !
they after accepting the money tried very hard to have the money used for other equipment,cashed the check and deposited he money under general revenue !
after much questioning and prodding,several months later purchased the machine !
now (several yeears afterwards).the problem is having them allow it to be used !
they say it is not econimicly feaseable to provide staffing,and that volunteers should be used in other positions !
so why would service clubs feel any better about helping people than i do ?
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum