Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Zimmerman

4 posters

Go down

George Zimmerman Empty George Zimmerman

Post by observer Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:28 pm

If you've watched ANY news in the last couple months, this name HAS to be familiar. He's the guy who claimed to be part of a "Neighbourhood Watch" committee who shot a young, unarmed black teenager named Trayvon Martin in a town in mid Florida.

Finally, their justice system has decided to charge Zimmerman with second degree murder. (after about 2 months and countless protests).

Zimmerman's original explanation of self defense comes from a Florida law that allows anyone to apply deadly force if they feel they are in danger.

What a variation between being able to shoot someone you think MIGHT harm you (in Stanton Florida) and being unable to hit a thief with a baseball bat when you catch him in the act (Ontario, Canada)
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

George Zimmerman Empty Re: George Zimmerman

Post by observer Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:02 pm

You've seen, I'm sure, that wearing a hoodie and carrying a package of skittles is now a symbolic protest movement?

Reports are that that is what Trayvon was doing when he was shot. - looked dangerous because his face couldn't be seen under the hoodie - and had something in his hand - which turned out to be a package of skittles.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Do YOU think he would have been shot if he had been white?

I don't.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by mario Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:14 pm

Supposedly there was a scuffle and zimmerman was being beat up which resulted in his nose being broken. This sorta complicates matters a bit. Was trayvon trying to protect himself in this altercation? Or was it a case of escalating emotions that ended tragically. Too bad there wasn't any witnesses.

mario
Man of Intrigue

Back to top Go down

Post by tito fuentes Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Seems to me that there is a lot of Monday Morning Quarterbacking going on when it comes to judgements in this incident. It is easy to lay blame after the fact. There was an altercation, that we know, but so far I don't think anyone knows for sure what exactly happened before, during or after the shooting. I will wait for more information before I lay blame. The part that most concerns me is the lightning quick play of the race card. I would wager that Jesse Jackson nor Al Sharpton had ever heard of Trayvon Martin before they seized the opportunity to jump in front of the news cameras. If the roles were reversed would they be there? If George Zimmerman were black would they be there? Johnny Cochrane played the race card and O.J. walked from two murders. The Rodney King verdict spawned terrible riotting. I hope judgement in this case can be based on and universally accepted, by factual evidence. Whichever way this goes, we should hope for now at least, Lady Justice is colour blind.

tito fuentes

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:08 am

confused
the one thing that i'm confused about in all of this is that this trayvon was aparently talking on his cell phone while walking, and his girlfreind claims (i think) that he said something about someone following him, while zimmerman was talking on his phone to the 911 operator, and her telling him not to follow !
he obviously (zimmerman) didn't listen, continued following, spoke to trayvon, then a neighbor heard noises then a shot !
so what bugs me is zimmerman had the sense to call the police, give a description etc. but then ignored their advice !
so it makes me think there is some responsibility on his part as he was told to stay away and didn't !
they should have done a more thorough investigation at the start before anyone said anything about colour or race !
scratch
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:07 pm

I agree with growler that a lot of the 'race card' issue might have been avoided had action been taken earlier.

There seems to me to be no way that Zimmerman can come out of this as a total innocent. Even if the boy did 'attack' him - that wouldn't seem like an unreasonable thing to do if you thought you were being stalked. And, it appears that it was Zimmerman who did the stalking - and thus, created an incident.

Maybe a great deal of the problem is with the Florida law - being able to defend yourself and your property with deadly force. In theory, the idea sounds very good - but, clearly, in practise, it can create problems.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by tito fuentes Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Agree totally with Growler and Obie. The Florida law seems to invite situations like this. The ineptitude of the investigaters was displayed again at the bail hearing when the lead investigater wasn't prepared to testify. Hopefully this case can come to conclusion without collateral damage.

tito fuentes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down