Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do veterans matter to this government?

4 posters

Go down

Do veterans matter to this government? Empty Do veterans matter to this government?

Post by observer Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Seems there's a BIG portion of what was supposed to be given to - spent on - veterans - that has been held back. Meantime, veterans are fighting for benefits????
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Do veterans matter to this government? Empty Re: Do veterans matter to this government?

Post by observer Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:54 pm

This government is NOT likely to get many veteran votes in the upcoming election. NOW - they made an announcement about millions of dollars that were going to be made available to vets - only to have it revealed a few days later that these millions were going to be spread out over 50 YEARS - rather than 5!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Do veterans matter to this government? Empty Re: Do veterans matter to this government?

Post by tippycanoe Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:08 am

Why? If the funds had been allocated for this purpose then why are they not being spent? Something very wrong here, monies are spent on foolishness yet this government seems to be dragging it's tail on an issue of importance to our veterans and current members. Not right!

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by howie Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:24 am

I would have thought that that well being of vets would play big to the cons base but apparently not. Plus Fantino is in charge.
Cut the bullshit red tape and give the vets the benefits and pensions they deserve for their service to this country.

howie

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Hard to comprehend what's going on. Some sense that the unpaid out funds go back to the general coffers and help alleviate the deficit - and put the books in the black - or closer to the black - in time for the next election. I really don't know if that's the fact or not. Cause it's hard to comprehend why funds would be allotted - and then not used. Hmmmm - maybe you get press coverage for announcing what you ARE GOING TO DO - and normally, no press coverage when you do it - or usually when you DON'T DO IT.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:42 pm

That's the problem with these claims ... No one seems to know what they were supposed to get, how they were supposed to get it, or where it's going. Yet they claim they aren't getting what was promised .. Then it becomes word against word.

Personally, I think we need a ton more of auditing in the public service world.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:56 pm

It's always "Very interesting" - as Arte Johnson, a character on "Laugh In" used to say when the Auditor General puts out a report, I find. Frankly, I'm waiting for the time when the government declares the Auditor General an unnecessary expense - and does away with the position!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:17 pm

That would cause outrage ... Or should, anyways. We need to have a blitz of external auditing for a couple of years in all public service sectors.

I'm starting to think that there's way too much coruption.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:19 pm

It doesn't seem to matter how much outrage there is at any given event - or moment - when it comes to elections - people seem to forget their outrage. Elections usually come down to economics - how does it affect ME and my bank account!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by tippycanoe Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:35 pm

You got that right, but nothing gets done when they are exposed, Chretien stole public money to fund his party and it was forgiven. I,m fairly certain if I Sat down and tried to remember I,d remember a few more from all political stripes. They don, t worry because there is no system of accountability to take any actions. The latest senate scandal of improper spending has only scratched the surface and it's already dying off, why? Probably because it could implicate some important politicians that still have a handle on the proceedings. The auditor General should have unlimited power to enforce proven crimes and treat the offenders the same way as common crooks, jail time. We need a deterrent, got to kick these people on their buts and make the rest pay attention.

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:41 pm

I think it dies off because there's new news! Without the media keeping all the scandals in our view - we - typically human, with our own agendas and worries - tend to forget about them. And so, they are forgiven! REALLY - our only recourse is our vote - and the problem usually is that the problems exist in all parties - so how do you decide which offenses are the worse ones that you want to punish by withholding your vote?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by tippycanoe Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Booting them out of office does nothing to discourage the next bunch from doing the same as there is no penalty for them to fear, accountability!,, Do the crime pay the time without a generous pension or perks. If they are crooks, they must be treated as crooks!

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Gotta give credit to NDP leader today - responding to Veteran's Affair minister, Fantino, who claimed he was out of the country, visiting sites of dead soldiers. Mulcair suggested that he should maybe be paying attention to the ones who were still alive!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down