Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping your pictures

4 posters

Go down

Keeping your pictures Empty Keeping your pictures

Post by observer Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Olden times, of course, you had to have a photo album - cause every picture you took had to be printed. In this digital age, you can take 40 to get one you're really happy with!

My digitally taken photos, I keep on the computer - deleting only the absolutely unworthy. BUT - I still make print copies of some of the better ones for an album.

I am currently scanning a lot of the pics in my print albums onto the computer - and then making backups! I DO know the importance of backups - as a couple years ago, my old computer DIED - and I had a year's worth of photos that I hadn't backed up. Fortunately, the ones that were the best of the bunch had been printed - so I could rescan them onto my computer file.

I just find it so much simpler to search the photo albums on my computer - rather than the ones in my album - if I want to locate something - a date when we did a trip; what year something happened; etc. etc.

What do you do to preserve your life history in photos?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Keeping your pictures Empty Re: Keeping your pictures

Post by retired2 Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:25 pm

I do the same thing, take a ton of pics on a trip and then make photo album of the better ones.
As for saving them I put them on my desktop computer and a copy on my laptop. I also have a external drive for a backup. that is 3 copies. I also make a cd copy of our trips. If you have real high speed internet you could save to the cloud. I saved a couple of things there just to see how it worked but tooo slow on wireless. Another option is USB drives, they are getting bigger and cheaper all the time. A 64 gig usb drive would hold a lot of pictures and not take up much space
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:30 pm

And I thought I WAS OCD! But yes - a few extra backups doesn't hurt!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:41 am

Of course if someone broke into your house and stole everything. and computers would be high on the list you would have lost them all anyway, or if there was a fire all copies would disappear, so the best option would be to put them all on USB drives and keep them in a safety deposit box.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Years ago, my husband took a lot of pictures (in the negative days). We would store the photos in albums at home - but the negatives went to the office for storage; somewhat like what you are suggesting for the digital ones.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:39 pm

I don't take many pics, but my last 10 year's worth of vacations is on my camera card ... Lol.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:31 pm

I am usually around 700 to 1000 per vacation
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by rbw Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 am

Save to computer, external hard drive, laptop, and some of the
favorite ones to a usb that I carry with me.. so I can bore other
people when I am out and someone has a laptop handy...LOL..
rbw
rbw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:29 pm

retired2 wrote:I am usually around 700 to 1000 per vacation

Wholly sh*t. I'm usually around 20 to 40 in a one week vacation. I need to step it up a notch.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:29 pm

Grandkids came in Sunday with their parents and the first thing the oldest did was to grap the album of our trip together this summer. about the 3rd or 4th time she has looked at it since August. Other times she will look at one of the other albums of our trips together. Never asks to look at the pictures on the computer with 22 inch monitor. They never seem to get tired of looking through the albums, so a good reason to print photos.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum