Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanksgiving coming

+3
gale force
Rick Wisson
observer
7 posters

Go down

Thanksgiving coming Empty Thanksgiving coming

Post by observer Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Also means Simcoe Fair, of course.

What will YOU do for Thanksgiving? Family dinner? Turkey - or something less traditional?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Thanksgiving coming Empty Re: Thanksgiving coming

Post by Rick Wisson Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:07 am

Family getting a little scarce as the years go on , so nothing traditional . Lots of choices at the Fair, mmmmm beef on a bun down by the chicken barns.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:21 am

My Thanksgiving will be spent with friends and family, the traditional turkey/stuffing/cranberry salad/mashed potatoes/gravy/green bean casserole/pumpkin pie. It just won't be until the fourth Thursday in November, and I'll be wearing summer weight clothing while I cook it!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by rbw Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 am

Sure, rub it in gale...LOL

Good for you, hope you enjoy your time in the sun... Cool
rbw
rbw

Back to top Go down

Post by rbw Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:50 am

I will be going over to my boy's place [the only close family member I have left]
Not sure what is on the menu, but it is always some thing good and his and his wife's
family will fill the house so there will be lots of commotion, no way to get bored..LOL
rbw
rbw

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:56 pm

GF you are going south before Thanksgiving? Wow! Way to go. How long will you stay? We are leaving Nov. 9th.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Duration of my winter sojourn is unknown at this point Kishgo.   I'm just going to try and enjoy all the time I get!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Great philosophy GF. Just watch your 182 day limit. A border guard warned us about this as we were at the 181 limit. Take advantage of every day!!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:00 am

Thanksgiving is coming. You have got to love this!!!!!

Dear Family,

I'm not dead yet. Thanksgiving is still important to me. If being in my Will and Testament is important to you, then you might consider being with me for my favorite holiday.

Dinner is at 2:00.

NOT 2:15

NOT 2:05.

Two 2:00

Arrive late and you get what's left over.

Last year, that moron Marshall fried a turkey in one of those contraptions and practically burned the deck off the house. This year, the only peanut oil used to make the meal will be from the secret scoop of peanut butter I add to the carrot soup.

Jonathan, your last new wife was an idiot. You don't arrive at someone's house on Thanksgiving needing to use the oven and the stove. Honest to God, I thought you might have learned after two wives - date them longer and save us all the agony of another divorce.

Now, the house rules are slightly different this year because I have decided that 47% of you don't know how to take care of nice things. Paper plates and red Solo cups might be bad for the environment, but I'll be gone soon and that will be your problem to deal with.

House Rules:

1. The University of Texas no longer plays Texas A&M. The television stays off during the meal.

2. The "no cans for kids" rule still exists. We are using 2-liter bottles because your children still open a third can before finishing the first two. Parents can fill a child's cup when it is empty. All of the cups have names on them and I'll be paying close attention to refills.

3. Chloe, last year we were at Trudy's house and I looked the other way when your Jell-O salad showed up. This year, if Jell-O salad comes in the front door it will go right back out the back door with the garbage. Save yourself some time, honey. You've never been a good cook and you shouldn't bring something that wiggles more than you. Buy something from the bakery.

4. Grandmothers give grandchildren cookies and candy. That is a fact of life. Your children can eat healthy at your home. At my home, they can eat whatever they like as long as they finish it.

5. I cook with bacon and bacon grease. That's nothing new. Your being a vegetarian doesn't change the fact that stuffing without bacon is like egg salad without eggs. Even the green bean casserole has a little bacon grease in it. That's why it tastes so good. Not eating bacon is just not natural.

And as far as being healthy... look at me. I've outlived almost everyone I

know.

6. Salad at Thanksgiving is a waste of space.

7. I do not like cell phones. Leave them in the car.

8. I do not like video cameras. There will be 32 people here. I am sure you can capture lots of memories without the camera pointed at me.

9. Being a mother means you have to actually pay attention to the kids. I have nice things and I don't put them away just because company is coming over. Mary, watch your kids and I'll watch my things.

10. Rhonda, a cat that requires a shot twice a day is a cat that has lived too many lives. I think staying home to care for the cat is your way of letting me know that I have lived too many lives too. I can live with that. Can you?

11. Words mean things. I say what I mean. Let me repeat: You don't need to bring anything means you don't need to bring anything. And if I did tell you to bring something, bring it in the quantity I said. Really, this doesn't have to be difficult.

12. Dominoes and cards are better than anything that requires a battery or an on/off switch. That was true when you were kids and it's true now that you have kids

13. Showing up for Thanksgiving guarantees presents at Christmas. Not showing up guarantees a card that may or may not be signed.

In memory of your Grandfather, the back fridge will be filled with beer. Drink until it is gone. I prefer wine anyway. But one from each family needs to be the designated driver. I really mean all of the above.

Love You,

Grandma.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:23 am

I can relate to some, especially the jello.  One family member always brings jello at Christmas. One bowl with red and one bowl with green. No fruit, no toppings, nothing interesting. She ends up taking it all home too.  I agree...go to the bakery!!!

Last edited by kishgo on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:52 pm

jello and gravy do not mix anyway
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:08 pm

I do remember the Jello days in the sixties and seventies. It was every where you went. In fact, I entered a Jello based recipe at Bolger's restaurant and won the monthly recipe contest. But times change and people move on, except for those who continue to bring Jello!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:11 pm

Fortunately, there have never been any Jello people in my family!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:55 pm

OMGosh Observer, I was soooo into it. In fact, when we sold our city home I threw away my well used Jello Cookbook! Favourites included the layered ring jello with cranberries, a peach surprise with jello and ice cream mixed in one layer etc. I had all the molds too. Some were copper and some were Tupperware. Am I alone on this????
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:23 pm

Seems to me someone gave me one of those copper molds - I probably tried using it once - not too successfully.

Well - I suppose I lied MY family didn't do the jello thing - BUT I do recall the in-laws - complete with the Tupperware mold!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:17 pm

No jello interest here, sorry.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Doing our dinner Mon. Grandson's "other side" rescheduled for Sun - so this grandma rescheduled too. Not a big group anymore - just son and grandson and 2 friends. Could end up being a week's worth of turkey!!!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:04 pm

We will have our own turkey dinner perhaps on Monday. Sunday we have been invited to feast with island neighbours who traditionally have 25 to 30 people but this year, only nine. She says its the smallest number every in twenty years!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:44 am

Turkey dinner Monday. Just four of us, so I did get the smallest turkey I could find. Just a nice free "no plans" kind of weekend, and sometimes those are good.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:48 pm

We will be sharing Sunday dinner with neighbours and friends. Ham, no turkey. We'll have turkey on Monday,
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum