Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Municipal Election

5 posters

Go down

Municipal Election Empty Municipal Election

Post by Ruby Tuesday Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:57 pm

So who do you think will take it? I see The Reformer is doing a live session tomorrow (debate), should be interesting.

What are some of the key points that you will think will help the successful candidate & can you think of anything that will hurt them (past decisions, etc)?

Personally, this whole consultant thing for the soccer park farmland rental tipped my hat.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Municipal Election Empty Re: Municipal Election

Post by observer Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:07 pm

I think it's more a case of past record than of "promises". Except for the new candidate, Jim Miller - the other 2 have had long enough as active members to make clear any decisive differences they might have. And, I don't think there really have been that many differences.

So, in my book, it's more about looking at the 2 men - and how they handle themselves in order to decide between them. As for their records - it's a little more difficult with the incumbent mayor - as he only gets to vote on an issue to break a tie.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Well, since I haven't lived in Norfolk for almost 15 years, I don't feel I have a true handle on it all. However, I do think Charlie offers an overall perspective for various situations. Perhaps in a more leadership role (mayor) he may have the opportunity to do more 'good'. I think he is an honest and true person. What you see is what you get.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Surprising the number of people who do nothing but bitch about the people in office who have given up their time to hold these positions. Yes they get paid but still time lost from home and family
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:05 pm

retired2 wrote:Surprising the number of people who do nothing but bitch about the people in office who have given up their time to hold these positions. Yes they get paid but still time lost from home and family

And in my opinion they aren't paid that well. They are way off the mark of our neighbouring counties. That does definitely limit who would be interested in the positions.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:07 pm

And yes, people bitch just to hear themselves talk. Some of them go off and seriously don't even know remotely what they are talking about. Yet they go off in a frenzy of words and finger pointing. Silly folks.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 pm

I don't think most do it strictly for the monetary reward - tho' for some, it's probably more than a little handy.

"You get what you pay for" has been said from time to time.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 pm

I watched the debate last night. It wasn't too bad. Two out of three mayoral candidates took part. I see in today's CD98.9 website there's an explanatory letter from Jim Miller on why he wasn't present - family first/significant day for his family.

I seriously hope I don't sound terribly cruel, but the letter indicates it was because it was the 5th anniversary of his wife's passing and I don't think that's a real reason to miss a debate at this time. Totally his prerogative, of course, but it's been 5 years. Not that it won't be an extremely sorrowful day, but I would have expected him to attend. First or second anniversary, yes, but not 5 years later.

Am I way off the map and too cold on this one? I know it's a personal situation and they are all totally very different.

Other opinions?
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wisson Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:13 am

No you're not to cold on this.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:31 am

I too feel that it was probably not required to absent oneself for a whole day to commemorate; but, I guess, that's a judgement call. It doesn't bode that well for a future with someone with that mind set in any position of power, however.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down