Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Florida Living

+2
gale force
kishgo
6 posters

Go down

Florida Living Empty Florida Living

Post by kishgo Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:08 am

As requested by Retired2, an update about life in FL.
One word. Incredible!

January was a mixed bag of weather, some cloudy days, some rainy days and three cold days. The temp. hovered around the freezing mark. We actually put on a bit of heat to take off the morning chill one day. Yesterday was a great day. Highs around 28 degrees C usually.

Last year at this time we were just waiting for our condo deal to close. Since that time, considering we returned to Canada for six months and then again at Christmas, we have been busy making the place feel like home. The entire place has been freshly painted in pale gray and blue. Perhaps I went a tad too light but considering the windows are only at the opposite ends of the unit and we always need a light on in the kitchen, avoiding a dark gloomy space was a number one priority. From there I was able to commit to a carpet colour. We choose a mid gray, diamond pattern Berber type carpet. Installation on Thursday. We debated over the flooring considerably. Hardwood or tile would have been a first preference. However, our unit is on the second floor. We didn't want to worry if our neighbours could hear our every step or sound if we dropped something so went with the carpet. Besides, it's softer on the feet!

When hanging art work, we have also discovered that the structure does not have wood. Everything is made from metal beams and cement. Laundry room cupboards were interesting to install too but we got it done.

It's been fun choosing new furniture to blend with a trailer load of accessories we brought from home at Christmas. (Now that return drive from Ontario was the Trip from H***) but that's another long story!

All in all, we are loving this life of easy everything and totally pampering. I am so spoiled. Okay, I'll change that WE, are spoiled. Reality check when we return home to the island.

Exceptional sales everywhere too!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Florida Living Empty Re: Florida Living

Post by gale force Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 am

Sounds like you will soon have things the way you want them. Nice that you can combine new with old memories also. Your colour scheme sounds very attractive, and as you say, you want the light. So very happy that everything proceeds as you desire. Now, why did you resist for so long?? LOL. The snowbird life is grand if you are prepared to make certain sacrifices to have it.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks GF. Some sacrifices for sure, as in missing some family events. However, we each choose an event to fly home for, one per year. This time I was prepared to fly home for a family wedding but then I wasn't invited! The bride and groom assumed I was too far away and didn't want me to feel obligated! Cant' win for trying! I thought I was old enough to make my own decisions. LOL

Our furniture and accessories are lime green, turquoise, orange and some basic brown in the rattan furniture. The entire look is quite eclectic. We love it all. Today we scouted out for a cement pillar stand for a piece of stone sculpture we found on the weekend at an art show. It will arrive next week, after the carpet installation.

Tonight we are dining out with friends at the Fort Myers Fish House, a character restaurant on the water by a marina. The food is always okay. We find it tough to find great food and great outdoor atmosphere. If you want character dining, we are the folks to contact. If you want great food, you'll have to find someone else for suggestions! LOL

Next week I'd like to host another dinner party. I actually miss entertaining. (Sure hope my hubby doesn't see this. He says my time in FL is strictly vacation time as we both work so hard at the cottage, every day, as island living is far more demanding.)

One day I know this wonderful life will change so I'm enjoying every single second of it.
Oh...btw GF, the reason I resisted was because I wanted to travel instead of purchasing another home. I still would love to travel, but it's not going to happen for many years so I'm loving it all right now wherever I am!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:42 pm

kish,you better be on guard !
after me and my bride (soon to be my ex?)get things settled,and if i get what it looks like i might (?) .
I'll be down in fla. in the cold weather months,if i can get someone who will drive my van touring around.
likely about 3 weeks per year.
so you will have to get heavy drapes for your windows so i can't see you !
if i can see you doing some unmentionable stuff,i'll put pictures of you on the forum ! lol

but in the meantime,hope you have fun down there.
everyone deserves a bit of good times in their lives !
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up Growler. Although draperies are not on the budget for this year, we do have verticals on the windows. I'll start drawing them next season to be sure!!!

We are having fun while we are able. Terrible lightning/thunder/rain storm tonight, likely to last for a healthy hour or so. We don't mind but our Riley is still hiding in the bathroom. He really dislikes storms for the past three or four years.

Temperatures around 26 degrees. Perfect. You will have a blast next winter.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle jack Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:42 pm

cheers we have the same temperatures here but i think you forgot the - in front of it  Sad lol! 
uncle jack
uncle jack

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:55 pm

uncle jack wrote:cheers we have the same temperatures here but i think you forgot the - in front of it  Sad lol! 

lol  pirat
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:56 pm

Growler - hope all works out the way you would like - and you get back to Florida in the winter - and away from these recent reversions to our Canadian youth! It was all great to say ".. how it used to be.." - when it was what it used to be - instead of a daily happening NOW!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Uncle Jack: great post!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:37 am

hey there kish,got some friends,(not as many now as in the past?) that are over just north of miami,with a fifth wheeler,from pt.ryerse that are giving me all the sad news and weather reports about all of your bad weather. LOL
all that heat,and lack of snow.
i feel sorry for you guys (???)
hope you all get a chunk of the next vortex.
i'm hoping it'll go your way !
c-ya.
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:39 pm

I'll watch out for that vortex growler! Today it's 30 degrees and a little humid for my liking but I'm not complaining! I would love to sit by the pool today but we are expecting six for dinner tonight so the pool is out of the question for now. Too much to do in the kitchen! Tomorrow afternoon we are having six for appetizers and cocktails and then we are all going out for dinner.
Yesterday four of us (ladies) went out for lunch. We insisted Barb drive her red Mustang convertible!!! It was a grand drive for sure!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Yesterday I experienced my first 'bow echo' weather system. Where do all these words come from? !!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Now we all know what a bow echo is, thanks kishgo

A bow echo is associated with squall lines or lines of convective thunderstorms. These echoes can range in size from 20 to 200 km, and have a life span of 3 to 6 hours. Bow echoes tend to develop when moderate to strong wind shear exists in the lower 2 to 3 km of the atmosphere. While similar to squall lines, bow echoes are smaller in scale; and are moved by the wind inside them. They tend to push outward and after time die out. A bow echo also lowers the chance of a tornado being formed in the storm itself. The "bow shaped" echo is a result of focusing of the strong flow at the rear of the system.[4] Especially strong bow echoes that cause devastating damage all along the width of the storm are often called derechos.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:05 pm

You google well retired2!  Exactly correct. The weather and new term were all over the local news. Interestingly, the station is called Wink news! The weatherman is a wealth of info as is Anthony Parnell on Global.  Today is quite windy and somewhat coolish for FL weather, a low of 78 degrees F. I'm not complaining. I'll take it!!!

Last edited by kishgo on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Thank you Very Happy 
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:00 am

It was quite windy here yesterday and all night long and even into early this morning, it has been raining heavily. I'm told that usually Jan - Mar there's no rain in FL at this time of the year but this season is out of whack too. The rain is good for the ponds and plants . It could be an 'inside' day today but I haven't checked the forecast yet. Hubby has been quite ill with a sinus infection so I've stayed close at hand. Read three books this week!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down