Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally at the reformer!

5 posters

Go down

Finally  at the reformer! Empty Finally at the reformer!

Post by growler Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:13 am

Someone at the reformer had the guts to write an editorial about the bull crap that the MNR has given everyone about the dams on the lynn !
then they told how our formerly attractive,and used park has suffered because of the counccil eating this crap,and tearing them out !
at first i thought someone in power would realize their error,but the slugs at our municipal offices are so comfy in their cocoons they can't be bothered to open their eyes.
when the next election come's i hope we get some realistic,eyes open people running in the positions the deaf DUMB easy speaking people are now in !

next as the editorial says we'll have to start dredging the harbor at dover !
and doing that 2 or 3 times will cost far more than fixing misener dam would !
look what happened at pt.burwell when they stopped dredging,even the fishing boats (commercial) had to leave and took the jobs the people have with them up west near leamington !

so say bye bye to some more jobs norfolk !

in case you missed it heres the editorial !!!

Norfolk residents who remember the Wellington Park system in its prime can't help but be disappointed with what it has become.

The park was once a jewel. During the Depression, it was carved out of a stagnant bog. What our forefathers created helped earn Simcoe a reputation as one of the prettiest little towns in Ontario. Sadly, through neglect and poor decision-making, the park is regressing to its dismal past.

The Canada geese have certainly come home to roost since Norfolk council made the fateful decision to decommission Sutton's Dam. There was an opportunity nearly 10 years ago where the dam could have been fortified for a few hundred thousand dollars. The county did not take it. Egged on by anglers and naturalists, Norfolk council let Sutton's Pond revert to a cold-water stream. Little did the county know that Sutton's Pond had been acting for decades as a huge silt trap, one that allowed the Lynn River in Simcoe to shine.

Today, the Lynn is a silted in shadow of its former self. We can reclaim the river if we want. But that would come at a price every few years many times more than the cost of a dam repair. We can rail against vandals who deface public spaces. But nothing they can do comes close to the fate that has befallen Wellington Park.

It is conceivable that Norfolk's unwillingness to defend Wellington Park has emboldened others to play hardball on the question of Misner's Dam in Port Dover. Again, anglers and naturalists are banging the drum to decommission the dam and - with it - the giant settling pond known as Silver Lake. The Ministry of Natural Resources pretends to be helpful. But it has been obstructionist at every turn. The ministry recently said we could repair the dam. But meeting their standard would nearly bankrupt the county. Judging by how quickly and aggressively siltation has become a problem in Wellington Park, we have a vision of what awaits Black Creek and the harbour in Port Dover if nothing is done.

And for what? So anglers have another place to fish? The argument is made that mill ponds such as Silver Lake and Sutton's Pond degrade water quality, which in turn impacts on Lake Erie and beyond. But has anyone stopped to think that the experts might have it backwards? There is increasing concern with Lake Erie and its mounting problem with toxic algae blooms. There are fears that Erie is reverting to the "dead lake" of the 1960s. This degradation has coincided with the mass decommissioning of dams and the mill ponds in back of them. Did anyone stop to think that these structures serve as settling ponds not only for sediment but the agricultural nutrients now blamed for fueling a new round of environmental degradation? We once had the means of capturing these nutrients. Now they rush into Lake Erie unimpeded, with predictable consequences.

Most environmentalists mean well. But when they deny that humans are a species in their own right with their own specific habitat needs and desires that deserve respect, they become a nuisance and an enemy of the public interest.

- Monte Sonnenberg
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Finally  at the reformer! Empty Re: Finally at the reformer!

Post by retired2 Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:27 am

I agree with him 100%
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wisson Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:07 pm

I agree with Retired.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by albert1 Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:37 pm

I agree to
albert1
albert1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:52 pm

When I run for council office I promise to do better.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Better start getting ready, I believe election is next year
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:26 am

well,i think luke and our presnt mayor will both be running for the mayors job !

i'll likely say no to both of them !
i think R2 should run.
he'd get my vote !

common sense !
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:51 am

Nope, won't happen. Makes no difference how they vote 90% of the people won't like it. My skin is not that thick
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:15 pm

it looks thick enough to me !
anyone who enjoys the smoke from piles of burning wood,or leaves,has pretty thick skin !
i'll have to rename you...?...Turtle would be a good name?

would everyone here vote for turtle ?
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:59 pm

90%? More like 98% it seems sometimes!!
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down