Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any astronomers or geologists in our midst?

+5
Slowfood
Ruby Tuesday
Rick Wisson
retired2
observer
9 posters

Go down

Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? Empty Any astronomers or geologists in our midst?

Post by observer Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:08 pm

A couple days ago, my husband found a rock on our lawn. It's extraordinarily heavy and VERY responsive to a magnet. There was an indentation in the lawn where it had fallen. It's about 3" long and about 2" deep and wide.

We're thinking it might be a meteorite.

Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? Meteor10

Any ideas?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? Empty Re: Any astronomers or geologists in our midst?

Post by retired2 Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:31 pm

What ever you do, don't touch it
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? Empty Re: Any astronomers or geologists in our midst?

Post by Rick Wisson Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Its certainly worth checking it out.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:46 pm

Very cool!
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Was it found adjacent to a road?
Go to google images of meteorites and compare.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by obofthehumcon Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:49 pm

I would suggest contacting Dr. Jim Cruise In Simcoe, he is the former curator of the Royal Ontario Museum and could examine it for you, or certainly direct you to an expert in the field who could verify your find.
obofthehumcon
obofthehumcon

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:53 pm

We'll be waiting to hear the results!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Good! I was hoping there was someone here in the community who could help identify your "rock".
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Now, let's just "if" and "suppose"....if it's really a meteorite, what will you do with it? Frame it? Hang it over the mantel? Store it in the garage???
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by obofthehumcon Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:24 pm

...or sell it......depending on compostion, dinner plate size ones have been sold for thousands of dollars.
obofthehumcon
obofthehumcon

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm thinkin' hang it on a huge gold chain worn around your neck with the appropriate colour mesh T-Shirt. Hot!
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:52 pm

Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? 4195803818
Double dare you.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks for all the input. Will see if hubby wants to contact Jim Cruise. Wondered if there was anybody nearby that might be a bit knowledgeable. We've already done the Google bit to make comparisons, and it definitely looks like it qualifies as a possibility.

As for wearing it around my neck on a gold chain - I expect it might leave me decapitated if I ever had to make any sudden moves. IT'S HEAVY! LOL

Will give updates - if I find out more.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:08 pm

Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? 2726502055
hey OB if you e-mail me a pix or two of it,i'll fwd.it to Dr.geof marcy a man who has this astronimy deal figered out pretty good,(he's found different planets and solar systems.
his reputation is fantastic.
and i have his e-mail info,but i'm not allowed to share it !
Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? 21574504
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 am

Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? 3839525478
well OB, you obviously have a great keepsake !
he feels confident that it is indeed a meteor !
as i fwd.ed his reply maybe if you want some quick cash you could put it on EBAY or if not have a case built to show it off in your home !
good find,
thank your hubby appropriatly !
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the follow up on that growler. Pretty quick response time from him too!

Exactly - now that it's every more likely that it IS a meteorite - now what?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by mario Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Just keep your eye on it. You never know. If it starts giving off an eerie, pulsating glow in the middle of the night...or a green, gelatin ooze emerges from inside it and devours whatever it comes in contact with....well............

mario
Man of Intrigue

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Right mario - I'll be sure to remember you were the first to warn me!!!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:05 pm

growler wrote: Any astronomers or geologists in our midst? 3839525478

as i fwd.ed his reply maybe if you want some quick cash you could put it on EBAY or if not have a case built to show it off in your home !
hey OB were you a bit to long at the arrowhead last night ??
just wondering !! confused
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:43 pm

I watch Meteorite Men on TV. Based on what they sell theirs for this would be very very valuable.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:54 pm

Slowfood wrote:I watch Meteorite Men on TV. Based on what they sell theirs for this would be very very valuable.

Are you serious? What is Meteorite Men? a science fiction show? - or one of those reality shows? - or an actual science show? I've never heard of it.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Its on one of the science channels. These guys go and visit known areas around the world where meteorites have hit.They hunt for fragments and sell them to museums,universities and collectors for income.
www.meteoritemen.com
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 am

Took a quick glance. Will obviously have to pursue it a llittle more. Maybe we can make Delhi, Norfolk County, Ontario - a new meteorite site! LOL
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum