Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No More Dead-Tree Encyclopaedia Britannica

4 posters

Go down

No More Dead-Tree Encyclopaedia Britannica Empty No More Dead-Tree Encyclopaedia Britannica

Post by Spidubic Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Never had a set of these but I do remember the Funk & Wagnalls encyclopedias that A&P sold.

No More Dead-Tree Encyclopaedia Britannica
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

No More Dead-Tree Encyclopaedia Britannica Empty Re: No More Dead-Tree Encyclopaedia Britannica

Post by observer Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Hardly a surprise, is it? Who looks anything up in a book anymore? - much faster on the internet - and it zeroes in with options in case you're not just exactly sure whether to look under "L" or "S".
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

No More Dead-Tree Encyclopaedia Britannica Empty Re: No More Dead-Tree Encyclopaedia Britannica

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Plus, the internet provides more up to date info compared to the written book. Everyone could see the demise of EB.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:41 pm

Before the internet back in the 60's we had The World Book encyclopedia. It was updated every year. This was via a new volume called a Year Book.My parents also bought a science component to it. I read the whole thing.
I would take a letter and go cover to cover.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:44 pm

We had the same idea Slowfood but with EB and it too had the yearly volume/update. I can recall taking the new and comparing it to the old. I loved it.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 pm

But, the unfortunate fact is - if you want to know something today - would you go look it up in the Encyclopedia? - or look for the answer on line?

Makes you wonder though, when bookshelves will become a piece of outdated furniture?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down