Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tobacco Co. Vs the People

2 posters

Go down

Tobacco Co. Vs the People Empty Tobacco Co. Vs the People

Post by kishgo Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Canada's three largest tobacco companies are squaring off against a group of Quebec smokers.

The smokers are claiming in a class-action lawsuit they were duped for years by big tobacco companies — as they became addicted to cigarettes and then suffered from serious health problems.

The civil case that began this morning is considered the biggest in Canadian history.

It also marks the first time tobacco companies have gone to trial in a civil suit in Canada.

The defendants are Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd.; Rothmans, Benson & Hedges; and JTI-Macdonald.

kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Tobacco Co. Vs the People Empty Re: Tobacco Co. Vs the People

Post by Spidubic Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Not sure how this will pan out. I mean it has been know for decades that smoking is bad for you. So anyone who started smoking in the last 30+ years I would say should have know better. Plus if the Tobacco companies lose can you imagine the lawsuits that would spring up because of this? And then there is the government. Would they be next to be pulled into a lawsuit? I mean they have know for decades smoking is bad but they did nothing to stop it other than some minor stuff all the while continuing to collect taxes.
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 pm

I doubt very much if the people can win, given the cost, timing, information, etc. But here is the lawsuit going before the courts. A late cousin of ours who was pres. of research and development with one of the big tobacco companies, knew this was coming. Shortly before he died a few years ago, he was already called to court in North Carolina and he said it wouldn't be long before something similar happened in Canada. There is a chemical added to the tobacco which is the addictive element, as opposed to just the tobacco itself.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum