Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oxy-contin !

+3
Ruby Tuesday
observer
growler
7 posters

Go down

oxy-contin ! Empty oxy-contin !

Post by growler Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:01 pm

confused confused
i read several days ago that this oxy-contin or whatever it is has been taken off the market !
and on the tube last night i seen part of a show about that it is very addictive ?
and in virginia some people have sued the manufacturer of it, saying that they have had the sales people exagerating how safe it is to promote sales.
and it looks like they are correct.
but in 2004 i used it as a pain killer, and when my scrip run out i just never used it anymore.
so now i wonder is it the drug or the individual using it that causes the problems ??
just wondering !
confused scratch study
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

oxy-contin ! Empty Re: oxy-contin !

Post by observer Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:17 pm

According to what I've seen and read, it's when it's been prescribed for CHRONIC PAIN that it quite readily leads to addiction.

It's almost scary what may happen next - whenever they complete removing it from the market entirely in Ontario. What will all those people who are using it as a street drug - and are addicted to it - what will they do? ... let alone the innocent people who were prescribed it for pain - and now must probably have to go through some form of withdrawal - because they got addicted under doctor's orders!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm

I can see it being addictive. I've been prescribed it 2x in the past for pain. It works wonders and I can see how you could quickly get dependent on it. I don't think it's going off the market, rather, just changing " form " to prevent the drug abuse.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:20 pm

http://www.ccsa.ca/2006%20CCSA%20Documents/ccsa-003642-2006.pdf

OxyContin® is a semi-synthetic, opioid-class (narcotic) analgesic. It is used medically as a prescription painkiller to control moderate to severe pain, chronic pain, and pain related to cancer and other debilitating and terminal
conditions. It is often used when other opioids such as codeine or morphine have not been effective or when patients experience intolerable side effects with these medications. OxyContin contains oxycodone in a
controlled-release tablet (5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg, and 80 mg) that provides 12-hour pain relief. Other prescription medications containing oxycodone include Percocet, Percodan, Endocet, Endodan, ratio-Oxycocet
and ratio-Oxycodan. In Canada, OxyContin is manufactured by Purdue Pharma (www.purdue.ca).
Since its introduction in 1996, OxyContin has become a popular prescription pain medication.1 Currently, hundreds of thousands of Canadians use OxyContin under medical supervision for pain relief. In Canada, 6% of
the 13.7 million prescriptions written for opioid analgesic products in 2004 were written for OxyContin2.
When used illicitly, OxyContin can be taken in pill form, or crushed and then ingested, snorted, or diluted in water and injected (thereby introducing a range of health concerns related to injection drug use).
Most individuals who abuse OxyContin do so to gain euphoric effects and to avoid withdrawal symptoms.
OxyContin is said to produce effects similar to heroin. OxyContin is often consumed in combination with a variety of other licit and illicit substances, including alcohol (“poly-abuse”). Those who take the drug repeatedly
with or without physician direction can develop a tolerance or resistance to its effects and can become either physically dependent or addicted.
Oxycodone-based products have been used illicitly for the past 30 years. Like other opioids, oxycodone can be highly addictive when used in non-medical circumstances. In the U.S., the drug carries an FDA “Black Box
Warning”—the most severe warning to medical personnel and consumers that the drug has an “abuse liability similar to morphine.” Labelling of the product in Canada lists similar contraindications and safety precautions.
Abuse of OxyContin was first reported in mid-2001 when some patients in rural areas of Virginia discovered that they could sell the drug, like other prescription opioids, for profit. Incidents of theft, robbery and prescription
fraud made it hard for legitimate patients to obtain OxyContin since many pharmacies refused to carry it. Recent studies have demonstrated that trafficking in prescription drugs is one of the only cases where the product
actually gains in value when sold illegally (as compared with stolen goods such as TVs and camcorders).
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Tylenol 3 is the strongest med I've ever taken. Was on that for ten days and that was it. As my ankle healed (broken in three places, smashed so many bones the surgeon just vacummed them out), I found I could tolerate the pain better. But it wasn't easy nor pleasant.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wisson Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Did you know there is Tylenol 4. Or used to be.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:49 pm

I typed in number 4 but then rethought it, not sure if that was right. I do recall it was the 'top' Tylenol to take.
Interesting note, my surgeon told me that Tylenol is the only pain med that doesn't take away calcium from the bones. I asked about Aleve etc and he said they all drain the calcium . As the commercial says "Huh."
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by rbw Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:52 pm

http://www.drugs.com/forum/drug-information/tylenol-4-a-22019.html
rbw
rbw

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:56 pm

So, then it's number 3 I guess.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Aleve is an NSAID and therefore acidic (hence the stomach damage and calcium leaching). Ibuprofen Aspirin, Celebrex are all in this family.
I thought they still made Tylenol 4. Have only seen Tylenol 3 prescribed though.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:01 pm

I take Tylenol extra strength every night. Does that make me addicted????
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:07 pm

No narcotics, so not addictive, just may be hard on your liver.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:11 pm

I was more worried about the kidneys. Had them and liver functions checked and all is okay. Whew. For now.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:19 pm

Maybe I'[m only speaking for myself, but it seems difficult to really know everything we should about all these drugs that are meant to help us!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:26 pm

I had to refresh my memory.
NSAID's can damage the kidneys and cause GI problems due to their acidity and anti-coagulation effects.
Acetaminophen(Tylenol) is metabolized in the liver,so an overdose hurts this organ.
Longer list of issues with NSAID's.
I'm not a doctor, but looked up the information on my wife's meds.
Reading the associated nomographs for these and other drugs can be scary reading. A professional drug guide or "Bible" can fill you in pretty quickly on the drugs you are taking-most nurses own a copy.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 pm

So, in many ways the safest pain reliever is still good old fashioned aspirin?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Not so sure about that one Obs but I would think not.
However, I have two doctors who are at the opposite ends for taking meds and supplements. Oppoisites! It's hard to know who to believe.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:58 pm

These two distinct families of pain relievers each have their specialty pain relief areas, and their own drawbacks.
Aspirin is very acidic (acetasalisytic acid).The idea for it came from observing aboriginal people chewing willow bark for pain relief (salasytic acid).
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:10 pm

And aspirin (acetasalisytic acid) is still the remedy of choice for possible heart attacks - and its blood thinning properties, right?

But, yes - I remember my mother, who was prone to ulcers, couldn't use aspirin without the accompanying side effects of GI problems.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 am

My hubby's father, a Dr. insisted he start taking baby aspirin when hubby was about 35. Every day since.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:21 pm

oxy-contin ! 1316421266

well i do on occasion use asa (aspirin)0 and acetominifin(tylenol) but bot have side effects.
asa is an acid,irritates stomach,and esophogas,and related ulcers, is a blood thinner is good as a preventer of heart attacks, but also causes tinnitus (ringing,buzzing almost in the ears) but then was told to not use tylenol for several years after having heppatitus as it causes liver damage, and the liver never is able to heal, just changes the way it filters your body's fluids,until it can no longer keep up then becomes non functioning,and possibly cancerous !
also i found that your liver controls your taste budds, and if you get a grungy taste in your mouth (for example from a coffee) then your liver is telling you to quit hurting it (quit using tylenol, or if you were drinking the day before don't do that anymore,one of the reasons i quit)
and the only cure for your liver is to get a transplant !
so be very careful,unless you crave having you chest cut open !
i already have tinnitus and can feel (physically) my liver before it rips into my taste budds,so maybe i'm just lucky i didn't get hooked on oxy-contin !!

oxy-contin ! 2726502055
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Gee Growler, you have made me re-examine taking tylenol. A good wake up call. No t. last night and I made it through the night just fine. Maybe it's mind over matter.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:23 am

oxy-contin ! 1601752442

is that like "you don't mind" and "i don't matter" !!
oxy-contin ! 3048187578
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:30 pm

Growler, to whom are you making the reference?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum