Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tell me a western next time !

Go down

tell me a western next time ! Empty tell me a western next time !

Post by growler Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 am

Louis L'Amour, the prolific author of scores of bestselling western novels, is born on this day,1908, in Jamestown, North Dakota.

An indifferent student, L'Amour dropped out of high school at age 15. Over the next two decades, he traveled around the world working in an amazing variety of jobs. At various times, he tried his hand at being a cowboy, seaman, longshoreman, prizefighter, miner, and fruit picker. During World War II, L'Amour served time in Europe as an officer in the tanks corps.

After returning from the war, L'Amour began writing short stories and novels. His spare, flinty style caught the eyes of several editors, and L'Amour began to make a living as a writer. His big break came when a novel he wrote at the age of 46 became the basis for the popular John Wayne movie Hondo. Although L'Amour had not set out to become a writer of Westerns, he began producing more of what readers and editors clearly wanted. He wrote several other screenplay/novels, including the epic 1962 movie, How the West Was Won. By the mid-1970s, he had written 62 books, most of them Westerns.
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum