Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another worry for our friends and family in florida !

5 posters

Go down

another worry for our friends and family in florida ! Empty another worry for our friends and family in florida !

Post by growler Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:01 pm

Another sinkhole in florida,3km from the other from last week ?

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03/05/town-on-edge-as-second-sinkhole-opens-blocks-away-from-where-florida-man-disappeared-beneath-bedroom/
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

another worry for our friends and family in florida ! Empty Re: another worry for our friends and family in florida !

Post by Spidubic Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 pm

I would not want to be living there right now. Two sinkholes 3km apart. That is scary. Who can say there aren't more holes waiting to open. Not a great feeling for anyone living there.
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

another worry for our friends and family in florida ! Empty Re: another worry for our friends and family in florida !

Post by gale force Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:05 pm

Sinkholes in Florida are not something new. These holes have been opening for years, but without such shocking loss of life. Many homes have been damaged and some even destroyed. Many have been repaired. Most give some warning of their presence, such as cracks appearing in walls, or depressions in yards. This is quoted as part of the reason home insurance in Florida has gotten so expensive and the scam artists have developed ways to take advantage of the situation.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Don't often credit the Simcoe Reformer with much - but the other day an editorialist did a piece on being in Mexico. Now, I know a lot of people who swear they wouldn't go to Mexico - because it's too dangerous - all the killings happening there!

This guy pointed out that Mexico ranked quite far below the United States in the number of homocides per 100,000 people - so - maybe one should be afraid of going to Florida for fear of being shot - rather than of being consumed by a sink hole!

That said - one certainly sympathizes with the few that were devestated by this catastrophic event!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:52 pm

It is my understanding that the sinkholes happen when the layers of water and limestone weaken the surface, causing the sinking issue. Apparently FL has many limestone pockets and as mentioned earlier, nothing new to the seasoned residents, but it's results are indeed tragic.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:10 am

sorta makes me wonder aboutso.ont.,as what we call bedrock around here is limestone.
so i wonder why we don't get sinkholes around here ?
i one time delivered a load of something (?) tto a quarry east of tampa,so.of i-4,and was surprised to see it resembled the quarry near dover! (norfolk quarries?)
the gravel after being crushed looked the same as that.
so as they claim it is acidic water (sewage water?)that causes this,is it just a matter of time ?
confused
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:40 pm

All I know is that the map we were shown does not have heavy limestone deposits around our home. That makes me feel safer.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down