Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And We're Off!

+5
Cuttin Bait
gale force
uncle jack
observer
kishgo
9 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

And We're Off! - Page 8 Empty Re: And We're Off!

Post by kishgo Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Ditto on the congratulations!
Off topic.....are local tomatoes ready yet or is it a tad too early? With this growing season, I'm never sure when the fresh produce is ready!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Field tomatoes have been on the farmers market for the last couple weeks. Had a toasted tomato sandwich with mayo and a glass of cold milk for lunch today!!! mmmmmmgood! Early red haven peaches were there last week also so I'm thinking it might be peach jam making this weekend!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:04 pm

We have fresh peaches in our neck of the woods but have not really noticed field tomatoes. Is there anything more delicious than a fresh tomato sandwich, toasted and maybe with a bit of bacon? I could eat them forever.
At a PC store today in Bridgenorth, there was a huge poster board, listing the local farmers whose produce is sold in the store. Many Norfolk farmers listed....Nightingales, Poracky, Van Berlo to name a few that I remember. There were about five growers listed, all with pictures of the farmer and their family. Kind of neat!!
Peach jam sounds divine GF. I might just do that after our mid week company leaves. Currently, we are in painting and redecorating mode. Board and Batten in the Paradise Bedroom.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 pm

I don't think you can have many rooms left to redo Kishgo! I wish I had some of your "get up and go" - so I could get some of my projects completed.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:09 pm

LOL It's not ME that has the get up and go. It's my hubby. It was my thought to do the renos in the fall but he had a different opinion. (And a bit of a nag about getting what he wants. But in a very nice way!) My friends always laugh at us. Hubby has the ideas. I do all the painting! However, he does other things to help out.
My ongoing beef is that not only is the room a wreck but the entire house is affected AND I still have to make meals, laundry, yardwork. Hmmmm...something seems out of kilter here!
Guess it can't be too bad though, I still do it all! LOL
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:12 pm

PS...we have one bedroom left. It's called the Captain's Room, kind of resembling the decor of an old ship, complete with an oar over the window, a steering wheel, compass, weights etc. The bedspreads are in a navy, taupe and beige big plaid. The walls are kind of a dark walnut panel look, but not real panelling. I"d love to paint the walls a light taupe. Fingers crossed that this will be a SPRING project!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Nothing better than a freshly redone room. I've just finished both of the bathrooms (just new paint and fixtures as the house is only 10 yrs old). They look good.

Next is the spare bedroom, paint, new bed and bedding, plus new curtains. It will look awesome when done. I love painting.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:45 pm

Congratulations to the two of you for your ambition in doing all that!

Just finished the reno of the ensuite - which took an unbelievalby long time - but then - we were waiting for our "tradesman" to do his specialized thing! LOL
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:43 am

RT What kind of paint do you use? I think it makes the world of difference if you like your product. In our first season, being complete strangers to the area, I used Beautitone from the local Home Hardware, our closest hardware store. Never again. Now I've found other places to shop (granted 40 min. from us instead of 20) and have returned to my favourite, Benjamin Moore. I use their Aura line and love it.

Observer....is there any way to could 'influence' your 'trademan' to get back to the job so you can enjoy your ensuite???? I would love an ensuite instead of just one bathroom for all to use (floor area 5 x 5 so you know it's small!)
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Finished installing a board and batten bedroom with three coats of super white paint in an eggshell finish. It's a tad 'flat' looking so maybe next time (as in FIVE years from now) I'll use a semi-gloss on it. I can't believe how well it turned out!!! Tomorrow hubby will install the quarter round on the 4 1/2 pine trimmed, also newly installed and then I can put everything back in, just in time for Tuesday's company.
Nothing like working on a deadline!!!

Observer, why don't you post a pic or two for all of us to drool over????? I'm sure it looks wonderful!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Actually, now I use BM Aura also. Crap that stuff is expensive, but I hope it's worth it. Have done 3 rooms it it now.

Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 pm

I like BM for a few reasons...one being that it stands the test of time. It washes and wears well. Easy to apply. The paint sticks to the wood. But I have to agree it has become terribly espensive.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:42 pm

And so our final weekend of company has come and gone. It rained all day yesterday but that did not deter us from having a great time.
Last week, our company and us (is that grammatically correct?????), went into Peterborough for lunch, putting in enough money in the meter for two hours while we were away from the car. One hour and fifteen minutes later, we returned only to find a parking ticket! The 'reason' for the parking ticket was 'unable to read'! REALLY?????? We could all see it as plain as day. My hubby was indignent to say the least and visited the Customer Service Dept at City Hall immediately. ( I declined to go in with him, just in case he was politically incorrect. He told us the city should not hire midgets who can't read over the car!!!) But in the end, he says he was quite nice and the clerk took all of his information and assured us the ticket would be cancelled. Sure hope we don't rec. a letter in February demanding our appearance in court for an unpaid ticket!
Hubby will be away for four days and so it's just me and the dog on the island. So peaceful......
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Blast. I wont' be alone. Renters (several fishermen from PA) will be at the east point for another week but they are far enough away that I won't even notice them, as we never hear anything from that distance.
Hmmm..several men. Maybe I will lock my door at night.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Probably safer then in Delhi
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Uh Oh.....down to FOUR degrees tonight. OMGoodness, I'll need to bring out the extra thick socks and soft gloves for bed tonight. Is it too early to turn on the heat??? (YES!!)
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:43 am

How long will you and hubby stay on the island? I know what it's like spending part of the year in one place and the rest of the year in another!!! Like moving twice a year, and then when in one location you think something is where you keep it at the other location!! Or is that just old age creeping up on me? LOL
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 am

HI GF. We plan to stay until the end of October, first week of Nov. The weather will play a huge part in our decision. When we can see a window of two warm days, then we begin the closing up process. It does take about two days. It's the water system that is the most time consuming.
Totally understand the situation you describe, especially our first year here. I pretty much have things duplicated now. I don't even bring home all of our clothing.
When do you leave for Florida again?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Right about the same time frame that you are. I to tried to duplicate things, even tried to put items in the same places but sometimes failed. I remember shortly after arriving in Florida, wanting to make up some pies, but for the life of me couldn't find my rolling pin. It finally surfaced after I had the thought...now, where does mom keep her rolling pin? I'm looking forward to heading south, and the work (and money) required to do upkeep on the second residence. You know well what I mean. This year I want to paint the living/dining room and replace the flooring in the back entranceway/kitchen/bath/hallway with laminate flooring. At least that's what I'm thinking right now......cost may dictate otherwise!
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:03 pm

LOL so you are gearing UP for going to Florida and I'm am gearing down to leave the cottage. Hubby really wants to live in FL for six months but I'm not ready to sell our city home/base yet. Renting is really tough because we have a dog over 25 pounds. He's considered midsize and not small. Even buying in some communities is tough because to the dog (that he wanted and we love!).
Are you following your usual route/routine?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:49 pm

There are some new medical issues with the family in Ohio now so I'm not sure yet what will happen. Just play it by ear I guess.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:26 pm

Really hate this "discussing the upcoming season's plans". It SO suggests that summer is over! Just an old die hard re summer, I guess.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by gale force Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:02 am

When the kids go back to school, and its cold enough at night that I want to pull a blanket over me, my thoughts turn to putting away the deck furniture, trimming back the shrubs and plants, and thinking about whats soon to come. My way of anticipating the next season coming I guess.
gale force
gale force

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:53 am

And for me observer, when the dock slide has to come down and the air too cool to be in the water, that's a sure sign that summer's end is close.
Today I finished the east side of the house rock garden with three four foot birch bark tree stumps interspersed. Next year I hope to add pansy bowls or something like that on top of each log. Mini bird bath? Garden? Lanterns? Time will tell.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:05 pm

gale force wrote:When the kids go back to school, and its cold enough at night that I want to pull a blanket over me, my thoughts turn to putting away the deck furniture, trimming back the shrubs and plants, and thinking about whats soon to come. My way of anticipating the next season coming I guess.

hi to all,i've had issues get logged in this month,to dumb to figure out why !
but on to you there gf,how do you travel to fl.? by road,or by wings ?
just wondering ?
and after reading a bit about halth issue's i thought i'd let you know what i took advantage of after the ontario gov't quit covering it's people while away.
i bought caa travelers insurance, it is to cover you for your vacations for trips to the us,several times per year, so as i made many trips (not exactly vacations?) per year that is what i bought (and used on occasion) and it worked fine.(but i only used it for more serious things, not for illness's but for injury's,a serious cut on my arm,and a broken hip!) and never had a problem with it ! and it's cheap,only around $100.per year !
so thats just a tid bit to consider !
c-ya
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum