Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is consent?

Go down

What is consent? Empty What is consent?

Post by observer Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Presently being discussed on CBC - the "early" version - not usually till 10 p.m. locally.

It IS a murky area, it seems to me - and coming to light with all the sexual accusations - Ghomeishi - and Parliament, at the moment.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

What is consent? Empty Re: What is consent?

Post by tippycanoe Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:47 pm

No means "NO" can't be much simpler unless one is taking advantage of a simple person, common sense is overcome by sexual emotions and if one party is not sure it's up to one of them to ensure that a quick moment of passion isn't followed by a lifetime of sorrow. That can be very difficult for a young person in today's permissive anything goes society. Condoms and sex education are passed out in school, if I was a young person that would be green light.

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:49 pm

What I've read about the NDP MP woman, says she went back to his hotel room after a group get together at a pub - about 2 a.m. She's quoted as saying that she never actually said "No" - but she didn't 'say "yes". Not sure exactly what is supposed to have happened - but, this one gives me a little hesitation. If you went to his room - alone - at 2 am - after some drinks - and you didn't say "no" when some kind of romantic advances began - I don't know. There IS still the fact that men and women develop relationships by means of SOMEBODY making a move - and that's usually the male.

I'm not faulting that she may have gone back to the room because they were having a good conversation - and the others were "pooped" - so I'm not faulting her DOING it - in my day, I would have felt justified in doing so too, if I wanted to. But, when the advances begin, "No" is not such a hard word. OR, it can be put more subtly - and convey the same meaning.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by tippycanoe Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Well for heavens sake,after a night off drinking, going to a man's hotel room at 2:00 AM join the dots, what the heck did she think was going to happen, a game of chess? a cooking lesson?

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:12 pm

I know it sounds that way - but I think the going to the bar was after Parliamentary meetings, to start with. And, I didn't mean to imply it was a "night of drinking" - though clearly there probably was some alcohol involved. And, it IS possible that the conversation "on topic" was still continuing.

Fully understanding what you're saying about how it looks, I don't fault her for going. What I DO fault is her statement that she didn't say "no" but she didn't say "yes". Presumably, she's not sure what he would have done had she said "no". So, he may have progressed with his "advances" based on what he interpreted as body language indicating that she was receptive.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by tippycanoe Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 pm

I call those people teasers, whether it be male or female and I call the other a fool for not being able to read the writing on the wall for thinking they were the smarter one.A battle of wits.

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:02 pm

We,, I just don't understand what the lady might have been thinking!!! LOL
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:56 pm

It turns out, from reading further, that the "accusing" woman and the others had been at a bowling night out - regular thing, it seems. And THEN she went back to his room at 2 a.m. It seems sexual activity occurred. She claims that she did not "give explicit consent!". She also says she didn't actually say "No".

NOW - I've gotta say "Gimme a break!"

If you're so naïve as to go back to a man's room at 2 a.m. after a social function - alone - and don't have the wherewithal to figure out how to say "No" - maybe you shouldn't be representing anybody in Parliament. Go home and get some experience with the world!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by tippycanoe Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Oh yeah, they walk among us and lead us???

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by rbw Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Is she simple,? what the hell did she think was going to happen under those circumstances?. Even when I was young {some time ago] women
knew better than that. At two in the morning they would not be alone
with a man unless they were willing for what would inevitably happen..
rbw
rbw

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:59 pm

So - what was Trudeau to do when these "offenses" were reported to him? Should he have ignored them? Probably would have been labeled as being "insensitive" to women's issues - and perhaps even party to a crime - by not reporting it?

Makes me begin to wonder if these women are as naïve as they are portraying themselves. Neither has yet to reveal her identity - or lay formal charges. Wonder if they would have "gone public" if Trudeau had done nothing after he was informed of the "wrong doings" of some of his party caucus?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum