Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you didn't live where you do ...

Go down

If you didn't live where you do ... Empty If you didn't live where you do ...

Post by observer Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:32 pm

... where would you think would be a great place to live?

A particular city - with all its activities and shopping etc. etc?

The Caribbean - or somewhere else where it's warm all year?

Anybody have a secret wish to live somewhere in Europe?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

If you didn't live where you do ... Empty Re: If you didn't live where you do ...

Post by Ruby Tuesday Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

I would be happy to live where there's virtually no snow in the winter. Winter at 75 degrees would suit me fine. The Carribbean, however, is a whole different way of life and I don't know if it's necessarily where I would like to live from a longer term perspective.

Being a snowbird would be perfect with me, Forida or Arizona.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

If you didn't live where you do ... Empty Re: If you didn't live where you do ...

Post by observer Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 pm

So - you like the concept of 1/2 year here - 1/2 year there? Seems a lot of us Canadians do!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:35 pm

Most seem to choose Florida. What's the draw as opposed to Arizona? - the proximity of oceans, maybe?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by tippycanoe Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Rattlesnakes, scorpions, excessive heat just for a few reasons to not choose Arizona! And no seniors specials either.............

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:08 pm

You seem to be familiar with a BIT about Arizona, Tippy. LOL
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:09 pm

A few things in Florida that don't turn my crank also. Maybe I just like it here
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by tippycanoe Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:27 pm

observer wrote:You seem to be familiar with a BIT about Arizona, Tippy. LOL
friends and family took a shot at Arizona, moved back after a few years, makes a big change in ones lifestyle when you're not used to too much of a good thing!

tippycanoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm

I don't know, would be nice to have too much of a good thing once in a while! Ha!
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:53 pm

tippycanoe wrote:Rattlesnakes, scorpions, excessive heat just for a few reasons to not choose Arizona! And no seniors specials either.............
At first I thought you were talkigaout Australia
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:22 pm

No - retired - no rattlesnakes in Australia! Lots of other unwelcome critters - BUT no rattlesnakes.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:21 pm

A snake is a snake is a snake. We have friends in Perth who have told us of some horror stories
They built a new house on vacant land and a year later the snakes were still knocking on the patio door trying to get in. They have lost a number of dogs to snakes
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:28 pm

Well - there you go. Guess it's another case of not considering how huge the country is! Just like assuming that there's snow in Canada - everywhere - all year long; or grizzly bears everywhere!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Are there no snakes where your daughter lives???
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:45 pm

None that I've ever seen - or heard anyone tell you to beware. I'm sure there are probably some snakes though. There tend to be snakes everywhere. They DO have humungous spiders - called Hunstmen - which are not really venomous - but would cause a bit of an itch if they bit you - something like a mosquito. There's also a redback spider of some sort - which IS venomous - but rare - probably in the "natural" environment, rather than a threat in homes.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:48 pm

Perth is loaded with them and they are very poisonous
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:50 pm

Haven't been to Perth. Considered going there the last time we were in Australia - but decided against cause it was so expensive - and we didn't have that much extra time. We went north to Queensland instead. Maybe now, I'm not sorry we didn't go!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Apperently in some of the parks in the city the walkways have cement walls on both sides to keep the snakes off the path
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Nothing like that in the Melbourne area where my daughter lives. She lived briefly in Darwin - where you need to take more care near the water - or the swampy areas - for crocodiles.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:51 pm

Well, as most of you know, I resisted moving to FL for six months. Arizona had even less interest mostly because of the lack of colour for me. Hubby had been to Arizona for a conference and swore he'd never go back again. Way too hot and dry.
Now that I've been in FL for three seasons, I absolutely love it. Great weather, a kazillion restaurants, unbelievable shopping and yes, I hate to admit this, and fantastic coupons. They are everywhere and expected everywhere you go. We love Happy Hour.
The extra appeal for me is all the new friends and some from home who have joined us AND the convenience of everything! I hardly do any shopping when back in ON. Our island doesn't have many stores!!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:47 pm

So, I guess you're saying if you didn't live where you do - you'd live where you do! LOL. Florida!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:53 pm

I love both residences but if I reeeally had my way, I'd live somewhere new every six months where the weather is comfortable. At least that's the way I feel right now.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:23 pm

I've basically felt that way about winter trips for a long time - though they were only one week long - not 1/2 a year. Have always felt that there are so many places in the world, why go back somewhere you've been before. See something new!

Have never gone back to the same resort - although we have gone back to the same country - and sometimes even the area of the country. I would guess that Varadero Cuba and Mexico - particularly the Mayan area have been where most of our repeat visits have been.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum