Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you traced your ancestry?

Go down

Have you traced your ancestry? Empty Have you traced your ancestry?

Post by observer Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:51 pm

There are a few websites out there to make it easier, if you choose to do so. Think some of them want you to give them a bit of financial help if you choose to do so - but really haven't checked how much they'd like you to "contribute".

I've tried to check back a ways on my family - but being they were from Belgium - as opposed to an English speaking country, even, it seems to me to be more difficult.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Have you traced your ancestry? Empty Re: Have you traced your ancestry?

Post by retired2 Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:11 am

My B-I-L started my wifes family tree and I took over after his passing. Using Ancestry.com. A little pricey but the info they have is unbelievable. The price is $300.00 a year. You don't have to pay if you don't want their info and just input your own. We are now over 7000 names but that includes our daughter in laws family also which means the granddaughters have a complete list of both sides of the family. Also we include our nieces mothers family and her husbands family. On my wife's side we go back to the 1400s with one line and D-I-L we go back even further. On my side we go back to my mom and dad. They have been gone a long time and I never heard them mention their parents name or I just don't remember. There is information available from Hungary but I can't seem to make the right connection. I would rather work on something like this then read a book.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:49 pm

As far as reading - or tracing - I like to do BOTH! LOL

As for the actual genealogy - terrific that you can trace back to the 1400's with your wife's family. And, you can't find ANYTHING about your own - just by having your own parents' names?
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:00 pm

I don't have any interest in finding all the branches on my family tree. It's just not something that interests me at this point. One of my distant releatives actually studied it and wrote a book on my father's side to of the family. That's a but interesting, but most of it goes back so far I just don't find it something I care to need to know.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by rbw Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:23 am

Years ago my dad said he tried to search his ancestry,
said the BEST person he could find was a hose thief so
he quit looking...LOL..
rbw
rbw

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:29 am

Wife has ties to W. Churchill and Lizze Borden. I now sleep with one eye open
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:31 am

I have found 2 different families where the husband and wife have the same 3X great grandparents
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Hey retired. Research sounds interesting. Hopefully YOU are not a descendant of one of those "intermingled" families!!! You know what they say THAT can produce??? Very Happy lol!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Can't go back far enough to find out on my side. Surprising how often you find 2 or 3 siblings marrying siblings. Not uncommon at all in days of old..I think thatreminds me of a poem or something. In days of old when knights were bold-----better stop there
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:34 pm

I have been involved with ancestry for many years. I have traced my hubby's family (with documentation) to 1650 in Scotland on his paternal side and to about 1700 on his mother's side. I'm having some issues with documentation on that side of the family.
And then there's my side. My family hails from Hungary. I have found some records on one site but for the vast majority, the records are in the archives in Budapest. Should one travel to H to look at documents, you need permission and a sponsor in order to access information. My late uncle did just that. He could read and write Hungarian, making the job somewhat easier. He even paid a researcher to look for some stuff. On my father's side, we can trace back to 1700 but on my mother's side, only three generations. For my step grandmother, only to her father. How I would love to learn more.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:46 pm

I remember you having mentioned this before, kishgo. Very interesting endeavours.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Kishgo, let me know if you find an easy site to navigate in Hungary
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum