Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you freeze popcorn?

2 posters

Go down

Can you freeze popcorn? Empty Can you freeze popcorn?

Post by kishgo Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:12 pm

We have a huge glass jar of popcorn kernels that we occasionally refill as needed but it's never truly empty. It sits on the counter all winter long and obviously freezes and thaws at the will of Mother Nature.
This year we noticed that our kernels are not popping as well. Initially we feared it might be our popcorn maker. However, after a Google, we now know differently.

Hey Unfrozen! Here's the word about freezing your popcorn--DON'T!

Popcorn pops because of moisture trapped in the kernel. If you improperly store your popcorn, it will lose moisture, ergo, more "old maids." Some people think the fridge or the freezer makes the popcorn taste better, but in fact this will dry out your kernels.

I ran some experiments with my air popper (courtesy of a magazine that I subscribed to). I froze four bags containing one-third of a cup of kernels (the most my popper can take), put four additional bags in the fridge, and had four at room temperature. In each group of four, two bags were a premium brand, and two were the store/generic brand. I tried popping the kernels with the electric popper preheated (running for about a minute, before putting the kernels in) and also when it was cool. I ask you, is this scientific or what?

I found that the longer the popcorn was in the fridge or the freezer, the more old maids I got. I also found that more of the kernels burned when I preheated my air popper! So the best way to get the most from your popcorn is to store your kernels in a cool place like a cupboard, in an airtight plastic or glass container. By the way, I didn't really see a difference between the store or the premium brands.

I hope this helps--and may your unpopped kernels be few!

Did you know that?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Can you freeze popcorn? Empty Re: Can you freeze popcorn?

Post by Rick Wisson Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:42 am

When you mentioned old maids, Many years ago Orville Redenbacher Used to say in his commercials something like, no old maids in my popcorn every ones been popped.. Then for many years he never said that in his commercials . I wonder what he meant by that.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:52 pm

So now you know!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wisson Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:21 pm

Add to this story.
Two old maids were walking
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum