Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you volunteer?

4 posters

Go down

Do you volunteer? Empty Do you volunteer?

Post by Ruby Tuesday Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:49 am

Spent some time surfing the net yesterday with my young one, looking for local volunteer opportunities. Seems as though there are a lot of local orgs looking for volunteers ... The hospital, NACL, fair board, etc. if volunteering gives you such a "feel good" feeling, why don't more people do it? Excuses? Lazy (or if properly termed - not motivated!)?

My mother is a widowed senior and complains about being lonely. I've tried to suggest to her that she should do some volunteering so she can meet more people and just have some social interaction with it, but she doesn't? What am I missing?
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Do you volunteer? Empty Re: Do you volunteer?

Post by retired2 Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:48 am

Wife volunteers at the food bank a few hrs a week
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:17 am

I'm hoping that the volunteer hours that my son requires might stimulate some interest in ongoing volunteer work. I, myself, have limited volunteer experience (soccer coaching, Humane Society fundraising), but plan to start again when I'm done school this winter.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:14 pm

Volunteering is an interesting concept. My Dad was a Lions member and Mom and Lioness. They were quite involved in their day. Me? I never really understood it. I love the social aspect and helping out with various functions. In my adult years, the most I volunteered was at our church. However, I consider true volunteering is for those who work at the caring cupboard, the soup kitchens, helping out the homeless etc. I've never done that.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowfood Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:56 pm

Yep we do.
My wife and I are Lions. I also volunteer at the Fair.
I was on the Board at Lighthouse Theatre for many many years, including a stint as Board Chair.My wife was a longtime volunteer there.(That's where we met and were married.)
I have been involved in  many professional associations as well, like International Society of Automation (ISA), Ontario Electric League, IEEE.
If we were retired we would volunteer more, in different areas.
Slowfood
Slowfood

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum