why would lowes want to buy rona ?

Go down

why would lowes want to buy rona ? Empty why would lowes want to buy rona ?

Post by growler on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Rona staffers were fired !
A well-meaning attempt by a dozen employees to accommodate a disabled colleague at a Rona location in Barrie (not pictured) — by strapping him and his wheelchair to a forklift and hoisting him to the store’s second floor — led first to staff firings and discipline and now a court judgment against the hardware and renovation giant for wrongful dismissal..

.A well-meaning attempt by a dozen employees to accommodate a disabled colleague at Rona — by strapping him and his wheelchair to a forklift and hoisting him to the store’s second floor — led first to staff firings and discipline and now a court judgment against the hardware and renovation giant for wrongful dismissal.

The awkward incident happened after a training session was scheduled on the second floor of Rona’s Barrie store in April 2009.

Kai Malmstrom, who is wheelchair bound, realized his mobility would make it difficult to get to the non-wheelchair accessible area. He was a popular employee and when he expressed an interest in finding a way up, a plan was hatched, court heard.

At about 8 a.m. on the day of the training, Mr. Malmstrom brought a portable ramp to work with him. He used the ramp to wheel himself onto a skid. Gord Stirk, a supervisor, drove an order picker — a forklift with a high reach used for retrieving shelved items — to underneath the second floor entrance.

Workers tied the wheelchair to the skid using ratchet straps and, using additional straps, tied Mr. Malmstrom into the chair.

With more than a dozen employees helping or spotting, Mr. Stirk guided Mr. Malmstrom in his chair high overhead to the second story, court heard.

After the session, the manoeuvre was done in reverse. No one was injured.
but the managers fired them!
the labor relations board had them rehired with back pay etc. restored to them !
growler
growler
Complaints Department

View user profile

Back to top Go down

why would lowes want to buy rona ? Empty Re: why would lowes want to buy rona ?

Post by Ruby Tuesday on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:11 am

I guess they better brush up on their forklift training. I'm sure that the training should include that they aren't authorized to use a forklift to transport humans!

Something also fishy there with them doing this on their own free will. Seems deliberate. I am sure that the company didn't intentially plan to exclude this person from the training, rather, these guys were trying to make some sort of point. Not a good way to do so.
Ruby Tuesday
Ruby Tuesday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by duckey on Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:49 am

forklifts are used to transport humans but in a cage designed for that purpose not on a skid I used them a lot when i worked in mataniance
duckey
duckey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by growler on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:26 am

hi,
sorry,but i deleted the link i had that i cut this article out of.
it had a lot more info in it,including some testimony from a safety inspector who was called in to examine the straps etc. they had used to secure this gent to his chair,and to secure the chair to the skid,and the other blocking and things used.(at the min.of labor hearing on the matter)and he said that there was no indication that the method or means used would e any more dangerous than using an elavator.
the only reason the manager used was that one of the workers had told him it could have been dangerous !
growler
growler
Complaints Department

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down