Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Holy Communion

+2
growler
kishgo
6 posters

Go down

holy - First Holy Communion Empty First Holy Communion

Post by kishgo Mon May 14, 2012 8:44 am

I thought I posted this already but it's no where to be found, so here it is again.
My cousin has planned a big family celebration following her daughter's first Holy Communion. What kind of gift is appropriate? I'm afraid she could end up with a multitude of white Bibles, crosses, figurenes. Hubby suggested cash, another cousin suggested a gift card to Michael's as this little girl loves crafts and another didn't think a gift was appropriate.
Any suggestions out there?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

holy - First Holy Communion Empty Re: First Holy Communion

Post by growler Mon May 14, 2012 9:38 am

holy - First Holy Communion 2697129566
i don't know if it would be thought highly of in some family's but it is what i would give,
the mint has series of different coins available, one is a birth coin,(with the words something like welcome baby! with a 3$ vaue on it, or a birthstone coin with the birthstone from the month of birth on it,
($3 again i think) or just a yearly coin collection.
they have a wide variety of stuff available that make nice giffts that increase in value as time goe's by, and are usually delivered in about 3-4 days !

holy - First Holy Communion 2726502055
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by retired2 Mon May 14, 2012 9:43 am

You can get most of them at the post office and not have to pay shipping. Good thought growler.
retired2
retired2
Bonfire Tilter

Back to top Go down

Post by growler Mon May 14, 2012 9:46 am

i've bought at the post office to but at times you get free shipping and save a bit (the post office is classed as a dealer).
growler
growler
Complaints Department

Back to top Go down

Post by Catweb Mon May 14, 2012 11:52 am

I think the coin idea is great....but I also really liked the gift card for Michaels! She probably will get many things that are more appropriate as keepsakes and will kept on shelves, in albums etc etc......so why not get something that's fun (not that keepsakes aren't great, but most children don't seem to have a high appreciation for them.....at least until they're older, lol). A gift card she can have a blast with....I always loved gifts like that as a kid.....I thought it was the best thing ever to have my own money/gift card to buy the things that I wanted!

Catweb

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon May 14, 2012 1:36 pm

I suspect if you take no gift, you'll likely be in the minority. I agree that both the commemorative coin(s) or the gift card sound appropriate.
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Spidubic Mon May 14, 2012 4:11 pm

holy - First Holy Communion 4195803818
Spidubic
Spidubic
Admin

https://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Mon May 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Thank you all your thoughts and suggestions. My sons used to rec. a coin set every Christmas from my late father. They never appreciated them not even now that they are, let's say, at least 30 years of age. Perhaps it's just them.
I posed the question to two of my granddaughters. Now THAT was an interesting question. Not being religious nor Catholic, they couldn't get their head around a holy communion idea. BUT for the gift part, they both agreed that cash would be best and second would be a gift card. Funny how that works! No questions or explanations required!
I think even a gift card for the Dollar Store would be great, or the cash. The Dollar Store stigma has come a long way!
We are leaning towards a lovely card and cash with a request to put some in her educational fund (the savings) and spend the rest on yourself (the fun part!!). We know that a fund has been set up years ago.
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Mon May 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Yes - I think different things are less appreciated by today's "young" - even most 30-40 year olds - than were appreciated by "kids" who might now be 60+. It feels to me that there's less interest in anything "collectible" or "nostalgic" or all that good stuff - and more in collecting the dollar value of those things - and enjoying it in a way that's more meaningful to them in the "now".
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed May 30, 2012 5:44 am

So, the FHC is over. I must say the service at a RC Church in Brantford was great. In total over staggered weeks, there will be 106 young people who will be celebrating their FHC. 106! Fantastic.
Regarding a gift, in the end, I decided to give her a square silver jewellery box with a pink butterfly and flower on it. Just enough room for a cross and her name. Inside I put a little necklace with a cross in the middle of the circle of filagree. I was amazed at th number of cards (assuming cash inside) and only four wrapped gifts!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down