Re: one of those days

Post by Rick Wisson on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:51 pm

A big hug to Retired. Hang in there.
Rick Wisson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Do you have a major (or minor) complaint about life in today's society?

Is $1.25 for a Simcoe Reformer that no longer has much in the way of news in it a rip-off? Even worse, were you to get the Delhi News Record (weekly) most of what's in there is just reprinted from the Reformer!

How do you feel about bagging your own groceries? Now, not only do we not have the carry-out boys (a source of money for teenagers, I'm sure), but we have to bring our own bags to the store, and, at a lot of stores, pack them ourselves! Doesn't look like progress to me!!!
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm

A $1.25 for the Simcoe Reformer? SERIOUSLY? Wow! I read the online version and that's enough to keep me 'in the loop'. The Toronto Star is cheaper. I wonder how many people continue to subscribe as loyalty customers? I'd hate to see the SR close up shop, but neither would I pay that price.

Funny you should mention bagging your own groceries. Today,my neighbour who is about 78 was bitterly complaining about that very topic. to me it's all part and parcel. If I shop at Freshco, it is a basic grocery store, no frills. I do my own bagging. When I shop at Fortino's, a larger and more lucrative store, the cashiers usually bag it all up. At Marilu's and Denniger's , upscale grocery boutique, the cashier takes the money and a separate person does the bagging. I remember those days well AND my groceries were taken to my car too!!!
kishgo
Record Breaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm

So, do we really believe that the price of our groceries has gone down a great deal to compensate for that lack of the grocery store having to hire and pay these low-paid kids to do deliver these nicety services?
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Sad isn't it. But on a good note, if I ask for someone to help me take my groceries to the car, someone does help. Guess being on crutches was a clue I truly requried assistance.
Today at Freshco, I purchased 30 bags of mulch. The cashier immediately called for someone to help me. I assured her I could handle it.
Now, is that my pride that took over? Or my sense of equality? Or what?
kishgo
Record Breaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 pm

In my book, kishgo, that sounds like a lack of sense. LOL
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spidubic on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 pm

observer wrote:So, do we really believe that the price of our groceries has gone down a great deal to compensate for that lack of the grocery store having to hire and pay these low-paid kids to do deliver these nicety services?

Nope. Or if they did they have gone up to cover the cost of gas to deliver the groceries to the store.

Admin

View user profile http://norfolk-community.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:28 pm

If anybody shops at Super Store in Simcoe - it's VERY clear that you're to bag your own groceries. There are TWO conveyor belts - so that the customer behind you doesn't have to wait till you get your stuff bagged!

I'll give credit to the Delhi Independent - if a cashier is not busy at his/her till, she immediately comes to an occupied till to bag. AND, they don't automatically charge for plastic bags if you didn't bring your own.
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:13 pm

This post hit a really SORE spot today!

I was at A&P in Tillsonburg and grabbed a salad and an apple for my lunch. Just before my turn to be cashed through the cashier sneezed into her hand. My apple was not bagged, so I asked her if I could put it on the scale so she didn't touch it. She allowed me to, but she wasn't impressed with my request - GET OVER IT. I told her that I didn't mean to offend her, but that I was eating that apple after I leave the store - she didn't acknowledge my comment.
Ruby Tuesday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tuesday on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 pm

And yes I hate the Superstore bagging situation. A few years ago I added my annual receipts from Zehrs and I spent 12k there. I don't mind bagging my groceries, but I do hate the two conveyor belt system. I get some big anxiety attack because it's always like you have to hurry up and get out of the way - and that really bothers me.

Ruby Tuesday

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:43 pm

I agree ruby - it feels pressured!

And unless I'm getting some extra discounts for not using the "service", I'm not really sure why I now have to start doing the bagging - when that was all included in the store's wanting you there at one time not long ago.
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle jack on Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:19 pm

Sad i was one of those bag boy's back in the day we all have to start some where Twisted Evil
uncle jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by growler on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:08 pm

never bagged grocery's but did a lot of other thankless jobs that paid between little and nothing and seldom got thanks for(pin-boy at bowling alleys, grasscutter around town, animal feeder (dog's,cat's,geese,etc) paer delivery,pump jockey,car washer,etc) , but i think it would likely not entice anyone to carry grocery's anymore (the pay) and if i get grocery's and they don't bag them i hope they have a stockboy or girl handy cause i'll be leaving everything there and it'll have to be put back by someone !
growler
Complaints Department

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top