Norfolk Community Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ham for a group

3 posters

Go down

Ham for a group Empty Ham for a group

Post by observer Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:07 pm

The absolute best ham, in my opinion, is a bone-in ham shank. It's usually so big that the only time you can really do it is if you have 6 - 10 people to help eat it! But, Easter is coming!!

I score the ham (very slight indentations about 1" apart - just to make it easy to insert cloves). Then I put in whole cloves - probably 15-20 - in the scores. Loosely cover with tin foil & roast in a low setting (about 275 - 300) for 3-5 hours. It really doesn't get overdone at that temp. About 3/4 hour before serving, glaze with a mixture of about 2 Tbsp brown sugar, about 1 tsp dry mustard and about 1/4 cup pineapple juice (or orange juice). Do that a second time - leaving ham uncovered after the first application. If you happen to have pineapple, that last 3/4 hour is the time to drop it in as well, to get part of the glazing.

In the same oven, you can put in the scallopped potatos - about 6 potatos thinly sliced & 1/2 Spanish onion, also sliced. Layer potato, onion, potato. Add 1/2 can mushroom soup, pepper, Mrs. Dash, onion & garlic powder & celery seed, about 1 1/2 tbsp flour & about 1 Tbsp butter. Pour on milk to cover or almost cover the whole mixture & plan on 2 hours at least for everything to thicken well.

Then, you can put the bread pudding in about an hour before everything else is ready - and there's Easter dinner! LOL
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Ham for a group Empty Re: Ham for a group

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:45 pm

Sounds divine. What time shall I arrive? Red or white wine?
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:50 pm

A lot of both, I guess!
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wisson Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 pm

All in favour of Ob hosting a ham dinner and wine by Kishgo post a smile.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wisson Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 pm

Very Happy
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Very Happy Very Happy
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Wisson Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 pm

observer wrote:The absolute best ham, in my opinion, is a bone-in ham shank. It's usually so big that the only time you can really do it is if you have 6 - 10 people to help eat it! But, Easter is coming!!

I score the ham (very slight indentations about 1" apart - just to make it easy to insert cloves). Then I put in whole cloves - probably 15-20 - in the scores. Loosely cover with tin foil & roast in a low setting (about 275 - 300) for 3-5 hours. It really doesn't get overdone at that temp. About 3/4 hour before serving, glaze with a mixture of about 2 Tbsp brown sugar, about 1 tsp dry mustard and about 1/4 cup pineapple juice (or orange juice). Do that a second time - leaving ham uncovered after the first application. If you happen to have pineapple, that last 3/4 hour is the time to drop it in as well, to get part of the glazing.

In the same oven, you can put in the scallopped potatos - about 6 potatos thinly sliced & 1/2 Spanish onion, also sliced. Layer potato, onion, potato. Add 1/2 can mushroom soup, pepper, Mrs. Dash, onion & garlic powder & celery seed, about 1 1/2 tbsp flour & about 1 Tbsp butter. Pour on milk to cover or almost cover the whole mixture & plan on 2 hours at least for everything to thicken well.

Then, you can put the bread pudding in about an hour before everything else is ready - and there's Easter dinner! LOL

On a serious note thanks for the recipe. Sounds good.
Rick Wisson
Rick Wisson

Back to top Go down

Post by observer Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:40 pm

IF you can find me - and IF you give me a days' notice - and IF you bring the wine - sounds like a plan Rick! Ham for a group 3839525478
observer
observer
The Watchful Eye

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:51 pm

Too many ifs.....
But I'm up for searching the streets of Delhi for a one eyed blue beauty!
kishgo
kishgo
Record Breaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum