Gluten free

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gluten free

Post by catscraps on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 am

Not sure if anyone is on a gluten free diet like I have to be Sad The Barrel now has gluten free pizza & pasta Very Happy
The bakery on Robinson St. in Simcoe also has gluten free raisen bread, gluten free white bread & baked goods. Courtland bakery also carries gluten free baked goods...it is all frozen & comes from the bake shop in Simcoe!

I found the biggest selection of gluten free foods is at Zehr's in Tillsonburg - the lady in charge of that section is also on a gluten free diet & was most helpful. It's a whole new territory when you have to go gluten free as you have to really read labels! There are so many foods that have wheat etc. in them...even some salad dressings Sad

When/if I bake now I use rice flour, whcih I purchased at the health food store on Norfolk St. in Simcoe. Just before Christmas I found a magazine at Sobey's called Living Without www.LivingWithout.com - it had alternate flour mix recipes to use instead of wheat flour! I haven't been able to find the magazine anywhere else so might have to subscribe to it!

If anyone knows of any other restaurants that serve gluten free foods I'd appreciate hearing about them.

catscraps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gluten free

Post by kishgo on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:19 am

I think the Stone House and Lake House in Burlington and Grimsby respectively have gluten free menus. Many food places are becoming so much more aware of customer needs and diets. Thank goodness! It's about time. Perhaps there's more variety in the cities, not sure.
One family member is vegan, and this is extremely difficult to accomodate both at home and for restaurants. However, it is a choice, not a dietary issue as those who must eat gluten free.
If it's any help, ya know, I always want to help, Tito's Vodka is gluten free. Really.
kishgo
Record Breaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by catscraps on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks for those restaurants Kishgo! I'll have to forgo the Vodka though...allergic to alcohol...one wee drink makes me violently sick!

catscraps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:28 am

catscraps,
I have a friend - who frequently comes for dinner - so I've had a little experience with the difficulty of cooking gluten free - and I only have to do it a dozen or so times a year!
I'm not much help with other sources of gluten free products, but I've noticed SuperStore has a section, that I haven't really examined. You probably know that, however.

I've also seen a sign about a gluten free bakery while driving to Brantford - somewhere north of Scotland I think. Next time I go that way, I'll pay attention to where it was!

observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by catscraps on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks Observer! What surprises me is M&M are great supporters of colitis & chrones disease yet they don't carry gluten free foods Crying or Very sad

catscraps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Catscraps, perhaps you could send them a suggestion via their website.
kishgo
Record Breaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:57 pm

Noticed today that The Barrel had posted on their sign that they had gluten free pasta and pizza.
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uncle jack on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:15 pm

cheers kishgo on the job again
uncle jack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kishgo on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 am

I try, I try....
kishgo
Record Breaker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Having a celiac friend for dinner tomorrow - so making meringue shells for fruit as dessert. Tried to buy some - couldn't find any in Delhi.

I know I've bought them before - just don't know where.
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:14 pm

http://www.brantnews.com/community/providing-a-gluten-free-alternative/

Just found this post, and thought it might be useful.
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by catscraps on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Thanks Observer! I'll have to check it out! My gastroenterologist put me back on a gluten diet as she wants to run some tests. If you are eating gluten free the test gives false results!
Like the lady in the article said many people feel better on a gluten free diet...that includes me. When I first went gluten free I lost 10 lbs. in less than 3 weeks! I didn't eat a lot of bread but the odd pasta meal. So after the testing is done I think I'll go back to gluten free! I tried some recipes using rice flour substitutes + everything else you need to make it work. We actually preferred the rice flour substitute over the wheat flour. DH said it was tastier.

catscraps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Good luck with the whole thing, catscraps. I've read before that a lot of people feel better on a gluten free diet - so maybe if being celiac doesn't turn out to be the problem you have, you'll feel better in the long run for having been "misdiagnosed" perhaps - and discovering a healthier - yet satisfying - diet!
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by catscraps on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Observer, I found a site that has some gluten free recipes you might be able to use when your friend comes to visit! I also found her write up very interesting! Since I've gone back on a "gluten" diet so to speak, I found I am always craving carbs & I'm always hungry - I so cant wait to go back on my gluten free diet!
http://www.squidoo.com/lose_weight-

I also read about a book written by Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist, "Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight" published by Rodale Books.

Here's a clip by Dr. Davishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrYg22BU9oU

catscraps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dreamin on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Surprised Observer: Thanks so much for the article re: the new GF Bakery in Paris!

Catscraps: M&M actually do have quite a number of gf items, including their scalloped potatoes. (at least they were last time I checked) You can find a list online, on their website. Also, if you are in the store; they will check for you in a large book they have for reference on many allergens.

Thanks for the info ... things change constantly and so much more is available now!

dreamin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:10 am

Amazing if there are actually TWO of our members here who are celiac - or related to someone who is. Obviously, this condition must be becoming ever more prevalent - or else, ever more recognized!!

I guess the good news is that it's becoming increasingly less difficult to eat enjoyably without wheat!
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Thu May 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Saw that Courtland Bakery also has gluten free bread pudding.

And - I also discovered gluten free spaghetti in my grocery store the other day - tho' probably you celiacs have known for a long time that it is available. Bought some, so that I can have guests for spaghetti worry free, if I choose.
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by catscraps on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm

Observer, I just found this site that I think you & your friend might find helpful! IT is for gluten free stores/restaurants in SW Ontario!
[url=http://www.glutenfreeontario.ca/southwest.html ]http://www.glutenfreeontario.ca/southwest.html [/url]

catscraps

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by observer on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Reading reports that the whole concept of gluten free - for people who aren't actually allergic to gluten (called celiacs) - may NOT be a good idea for the average Joe (or Jill)
observer
The Watchful Eye

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top